Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using the new 3tb Western Digital drives in a 2 gen drobo

I am confused as to whether I can use a WD 3tb drive in my drobo. MY setup is as follows: intel 27 inch imac running snow leopard, i tunes 10, 2nd gen drobo with the latest firmware installed. I have my itunes library on the drobo and I stream all of my music and movies to my apple tv attached to my hdtv, all of the computers in the house can access itunes using homesharing and everything works great.

I have 3 bays of the drobo filled with WD 2tb drives and would like to add a forth drive. Given my configuration can I safely add a 3tb drive to the empty bay. I know that OS X will recognize the 3tb drive but it work in the drobo and will the full 3tb capacity show up on the drobo. Drobo's website is not clear and it says that they are coming out with a firmware update in the future. Will this firmware update be needed for all computers using a drobo or just those that have operating systems that will not recognize drives larger that 2tb?

Running out of space and would like to get the largest drive I can.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

27 inch imac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), drobo 2nd gen

Posted on Oct 30, 2010 10:16 AM

8 replies

Nov 2, 2010 7:53 PM in response to budd100276

Ok 🙂 I just got a 3TB Drive from Fry's Electronics its the new seagate Go Flex. I took it out of its enclosure.. and put it inside the drobo.. Drobo Tells me Drive Failed. " only for the new 3tb drive." THAT ***!!!! I just paid $200 and it tells me drive failed... So i take it out and attach it to the original usb and it works fine direct to the computer.. My drobo is attached with firewire800 and 4 bays are with 1.5tb each. and the 5th one was going to be the new 3TB drive. HUmm.... Any ideas on how I can make this drive work with my drobo ??

Using the new 3tb Western Digital drives in a 2 gen drobo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.