Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quad G5 - Does Logic use all 4 CPU's?

I just took delivery of a new Quad G5 and Logic Pro. I am very happy and the setup works great. Unbelievable power compared to my old G4-800Mhz.

However, Logic only shows 2 CPU bars in the System Performance window.

Is Logic only seeing 2 CPU's?

I emailed Apple Pro Support and got this response:

Dear AppleCare Professional Application Customer,
Thank you for contacting Apple.
We cannot provide any information concerning this matter. A request was sent to engineering, yet we cannot guarantee an implementation in any future version.
Thank you for understanding.
Sincerely,
AppleCare Professional Application Support

Hmm....

I read someone on another forum saying that Logic is using all 4 CPU's but only shows 2 meters in System Performance ( 2 CPU's on each meter )

Anyone here with more information care to clarify the matter?

Thanks,
Jason

Quad G5 Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Dec 9, 2005 3:26 AM

6 replies

Dec 9, 2005 8:37 AM in response to JasonSmith

I think I read it in this forum, but at any rate, if you open the Activity Monitor utility in your Mac it will show Logic using all 4 processors (or both dual-cores if you will).

Depending on the future Intel based releases from Apple and whether or not they continue with the 4 processor approach, Logic will probably go through another semi-major upgrade in order to fully utilize all that processing power....... but who knows!!!

Matt

Dec 9, 2005 8:44 AM in response to JasonSmith

Try this:

Start a new session, or open an existing one, and start inserting a lot of CPU heavy plugs like sculpture and space designer until both processor meters in logic are reading at least 25% each. Now open up activity monitor and observe what the overall CPU usage is.

In theory, if activity monitor also shows that overall CPU usage is 25%(or whatever you're observing in Logic's CPU meters), then Logic is using all 4 cores. However, if activity monitor shows only ~12.5% CPU usage, that would indicate that Logic is only addressing 2 cores.

This should work, but please correct me if I'm wrong about this procedure.

Dec 9, 2005 9:53 PM in response to Mike Connelly

I have experiment my Quad with Logic to try to put it on it's knees with playing simultaneous 480 voices (20 tracks of 24 notes) with the EXS at tempo 220, not using VM

I confirm the 4 proc are used

Logic show "core audio overload" when there is still "power" available (about 50 % on each proc)

So it looks that Logic add 2 proc to be in the "red"

Apple can you fix this ?

Best

Cyril

Dec 10, 2005 12:25 PM in response to Cyril Blanc

Thanks for the replies..

I haven't had time to do any serious testing.. But I did have a quick go at a few space designers and sculpture plugs.. It does seem to be pretty evenly using all four cores as displayed using Activity Monitor.. sorry didn't think to try this before, doh!

If I get the chance to do a serious test in the near future I will report back.

Cyril Blanc wrote:
Logic show "core audio overload" when there is still "power" available (about 50 % on each proc)

If that's true, that's bad and they better fix it.. but so far I seem to have more than enough power. 🙂

Quad G5 - Does Logic use all 4 CPU's?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.