Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme Interference/Speed Problems

Hi All,

I just replaced my (rather slow) DSL connection with a cable internet connection. When setting up the cable internet over ethernet, I was getting 17-18 Mb/s. After I set my airport extreme up with the cable modem (its an older AE, I bought it in 2007) I had it running on the 2.4 Ghz network and was only getting 4-5 Mb/s (from speedtest.net). Concerned about the drop in speed, I switched my AE to the 5 Ghz band and tested the speed again: this time I got 17-19 Mb/s again. My problem is that only my new iMac can use the 5 ghz band, my older MB-Pro and iPhone 4's can't pick it up, so I don't want to be stuck on the 5 Ghz band.

I live an a moderately crowded apartment complex, and I know there are a lot of other wifi networks/cordless phones/etc bouncing around my building. I also had to physically move my AE when I changed it from cable to DSL, but it is only ~20 feet from the computer, so I can't imagine that distance is my problem. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about why I'm getting such poor performance out of my 2.4 Ghz band? I'm wondering if it was like this all along and I didn't notice it because my DSL was only running about 3-4 MB/s. If it is an issue of interference from other networks, is there anything I can do to tweak the settings? My understanding is that I should have plenty of speed even on the 2.4 Ghz network to accommodate 18 Mb/s internet. Please help, thanks!

iMac 2009, 1st Gen MBP, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Airport Extreme, 2 iPhone 4's

Posted on Oct 30, 2010 9:34 PM

4 replies

Oct 31, 2010 8:43 PM in response to DaddyPaycheck

Yes... with mixed results. After checking iStumbler, I found that channel 8 was the least crowded in my area. This increased my speed from the 4-5 Mb/s to the 10-11 Mb/s range, but as soon as I switched it to 5 Ghz again, I was back to getting 17-18 Mb/s, so I'm still not getting the same speed.

I read an article today about using the AE for the 5 Ghz range with my newer computer and buying a cheap 2.4 Ghz router to service the older computers/iPhones. I'm wondering if this may end up being my only option. Any other thoughts?

Oct 31, 2010 11:26 PM in response to mnk05b

The problem in a crowded Wi-Fi environment is that there are only three 2.4 GHz channels that do not overlap, 1, 6 and 11.

For example, if your neighbors have routers on channels 6 and 11, your router using channel 8 interferes with and is interfered with by the routers operating on 6 and 11.

This is a picture of Wi-Fi as used internationally, and channels 12-14 are not legal for use in the United States, but you can see how the other channels overlap:

User uploaded file

Nov 1, 2010 7:38 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Hi, thanks for that info, based on those ranges, it actually turns out that 11 is the better channel for me. This did help the speed some, but still (alas) 5 Ghz is faster. It sounds to me like my only solution may be to have a dual router set up.

Looking at iStumbler, I noticed one of my neighbors is doing the same thing, broadcasting the "same" SSID on the 5 and 2.4 Ghz networks. Maybe that or wrapping the whole outside of my apartment in tin foil?

Airport Extreme Interference/Speed Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.