Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto 11 can't read my nikon D7000 raw files, why?

I bought the latest Macbook air 13 inches and the Nikon D7000.
I tried to import the raw files (NEF) from the Nikon d7000, but it show can't read the files type, or
unsupported image file. It works fine with my nikon D5000, why?
anyone can help?

MBA, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 31, 2010 3:10 AM

14 replies

Oct 31, 2010 3:33 AM in response to marcoli1016

The Raw from every model of camera is different. Note: that's every model not every brand. So, the NEF produced by a Nikon D5000 is not the same as the NEF produced by a D7000, the CR2 produced by a Canon 350 is not the same as the CR2 produced by a Canon 400.

Therefore the Raw for every camera model needs to be added individually. If yours is not supported then let them know you want it:

iPhoto menu -> Provide iPhoto Feedback

Regards

TD

Oct 31, 2010 4:28 AM in response to marcoli1016

does that mean i have to wait for them to upgrade the software in order to use the software.

Yes.

my ipad supported all the raw files from different models of nikon.

Define "support"? If you're syncing photos to the iPad fromyour Mac then those are not your Raw file, they're jpeg previews created in iPhoto on import.

If you're uploading from your camera what you're seeing is the jpeg preview included on the Raw.

Regards

TD

Dec 8, 2010 8:31 PM in response to WyoKamper

Okay, I too purchased D7000 and A3 is not supporting "this new" RAW format (A3 did support my D80).

This is the question: Apple knows very well that camera manufacturers do "upgrade" their format - the same as Apple "updates" their format. This is not new, it's called "continual improvement", isn't it? I am sure that Apple has a "current process" to update A3 to handle format improvements from camera manufacturers. That said, I believe that Apple does have an "expected" date for this update. If they don't, then their business process is lacking and would not be competitive . I don't believe that - I am sure they have a good ol' gnatt chart.

It would be great for Apple, if they would give us an "expected date" for this A3 update. When they don't speak to us, we all wonder if they are listening to their paying customers.

Dec 8, 2010 10:59 PM in response to GSpencer

This is the iPhoto forum, not the Aperture one.

Rmember, Apple don't get any advance notice of whatever changes the camera manufacturers make to their Raw formats. The manufacturers simply won't play ball with the Software makers at all. They have to wait until the camera is released. Adobe released Raw support for the D7000 24 hours ago. That's how long it took them to reverse-engineer the format.

As to release dates: Make that point to Apple: iPhoto menu -> Provide iPhoto Feedback

Regards

TD

Jan 30, 2011 6:15 AM in response to nizmoz

Not sure if there's a D7000 iPhoto update out yet (I'm running '08) but you can download RAW from your D7000 to Nikon ViewNX2 then easily convert the RAW files to JPEGs in ViewNX2 (File/Convert...) and insert into your iphoto library. This may also be a nice way of storing your RAW files separately from JPEGS if you like that kind of thing.

Apr 20, 2014 7:55 PM in response to marcoli1016

I am new to this whole thing, so IDK if I am posting this in the right place.

I have a Nikon D80 (it's almost 10 years old). When I plug it to my imac (bought the imac in November 2013), iPhoto opens and it recognizes the camera but, instead of showing me the photos it shows me a genetic jpeg icon. I tried importing 5 photos to see if it works, and it gives me an error message that says it can't recognize the file types. I have used the camera with the imac before. Is it that apple upgrade their software and it is not supporting the camera?

Thanks for the help!

rita

Iphoto 11 can't read my nikon D7000 raw files, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.