Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with SMB/CIFS access

Hello,

after upgrading to iPhoto 11, I receive repeatedly an error msg, that there is a problem accessing my NAS device (Buffalo Linkstation Pro). The msg is popping up each time exactly 35 times, looking for me, that maybe there are problems accessing files stored on that NAS (the library is not located on the NS but on the normal disk on the iMAC). This was never the case with iPhoto 10. Any idea, how to identify the root cause of the problem?

Greeting from Germany

Peter

iMac 24", Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 31, 2010 9:01 AM

5 replies

Oct 31, 2010 11:51 AM in response to Filchescat

I too cannot access any of my iPhoto libraries stored on an smb NAS.

iPhoto needs to have the Library sitting on disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Users with the Library sitting on disks otherwise formatted regularly report issues including, but not limited to, importing, saving edits and sharing the photos.

This is for commercial use

This is not an intended use for iPhoto. It's designed for the home user.

Regards

TD

Oct 31, 2010 12:26 PM in response to Filchescat

How are you using it commercially? What you probably need is a professional DAM (digital asset management) application like Media Expression which does work on NAS servers, is multi user and multi platform. You can find out about it and other DAM apps at the The DAM Forum. It's an very good place for learning how to manage photos.

I wouldn't use iPhoto for anything that is tied to your ability to earn an income. It's a disaster in waiting as you've already found out.

User uploaded file
OT

Nov 1, 2010 2:28 PM in response to pheck

This message is when you launch or run iPhoto alone?

Delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your User/Library/Preferences folder.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding the the Option key. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

Then launch and see if the message is repeated. Was the server mounted when you installed iLife 11? Do any of the other iLife 11 apps give the message?

Problems with SMB/CIFS access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.