Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Escape key no longer functioning to back out of photos in Event view

In iPhoto '09, when you drilled down to view a photo in Event view, you used to be able to use the Escape key to step back a level. With iPhoto '11, I have been unable to do this. Is there a setting I'm missing or something?

Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 31, 2010 10:33 AM

21 replies

Nov 3, 2010 8:55 AM in response to mpb2000

Yes...this was an amazingly useful feature. You really don't know how much it's missed until it's taken away.
The other thing that is disappointing, is in full screen there's all the extra stuff along the top and bottom. In full-screen I want only the picture, like the previous iPhoto...very distracting to have all the other images and text at the bottom, etc.
And...one more thing that I'll have to submit as feedback to apple; one click on the sharing button of choice was efficient...now, click on the "share" button and navigate to the selection...easier the old way.

Jan 31, 2011 2:14 PM in response to dankohn

It seems that SPACE does indeed work to back out of single picture mode, back to the event itself. It does not, however, work for going back to the events overview. What does work consistently is CMD+ARROW-LEFT. Which is weird in a way. I mean, in the Finder going up one level is CMD+ARROW-UP. Why not use that shortcut for going back up one level in iPhoto, too?

Pressing ESC always worked, yes. It doesn't do what it did anymore, because it's now assigned to exiting full screen mode. That's perfectly logical. But why not just allow true keyboard navigation in iPhoto? Make use of the common CMD+] and CMD+[ keyboard shortcuts. They work in almost any Apple application for the 'forward' and 'back' commands.

I agree with many of you here that iPhoto does in certain ways feel like it's a regression, more than an advancement.

Message was edited by: Harro Jansz1

Apr 18, 2011 9:17 PM in response to Leif Nelson

Leif Nelson wrote:

I too am frustrated by the escape key no longer working. I used it extensively to navigate back and forth between events and in/out of calendar making. I was super efficient. Now every time I want out of anything I have to find the mouse again! So frustrating!! It seems like iphoto 11 is a regression, not an upgrade!

I agree. And it doesn't get better with age either. I've been using iPhoto '11 for months now, and I still reach for the ESC key about 100 times an hour to move from Photo to Event to Event List. Except it doesn't work anymore!

Soooo exasperating. I understand that ESC is now used to drop out of Full Screen mode. I have no problem with that.

But if you are in normal windowed view (i.e. not Full Screen) then ESC should still work as it always did. Instead it is simply non-functional.

I've sent repeated iPhoto feedback on this....there hasn't been an update in months though.

Dave

Oct 17, 2011 6:22 AM in response to Dave_K.

Like you, Dave, I am repeatedly reaching for ESC (to "escape" what I'm in back to where I was, like it used to work) repeatedly all day long even though I know it doesn't work.

Space bar, ***? Okay so it works but it feels like a workaround, not a solution.

I can't imagine Steve Jobs (RIP) would have approved of this, ESC has been used to "escape" since the beginning. He must have been too sick to notice...

Oct 4, 2012 1:57 AM in response to mpb2000

I just figured out a great solution to this problem! The goal here is to remap the Escape key in iPhoto so that it functions like the Command-Left-Arrow, which currently has all the functions we wish Escape had. The instruction are fairly simple:

1. Install KeyRemap4MacBook. It's a wonderful program that lets you take control of your keyboard. It's stable and powerful and quick and free.
  2. Follow these instructions which tell you how to add your own custom settings. (Skip steps 4 through 6, which just give you some example settings to add.)
  3. Edit private.xml so that it looks like the following (or at least contains the following "item", if you have other custom settings installed):

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<root>

<item>

<name>Escape to Command Left Arrow</name>

<identifier>private.app_iphoto_escape_to_command_left_arrow</identifier>

<only>IPHOTO</only>

<autogen>--KeyToKey-- KeyCode::ESCAPE, KeyCode::CURSOR_LEFT, ModifierFlag::COMMAND_R</autogen>

</item>

</root>

Finally, save private.xml, then click "ReloadXML" under the "Change Key" tab of the KeyRemap4MacBook preferance pane. Your new setting should appear at the top of the list. Enable it. Restart iPhoto if you feel like it (you probably won't need to). And now, in iPhoto, Escape should work as you want it to!

NOTE: There is one downside I've discovered. You won't be able to get out of Slideshow mode using the Escape key anymore, as this was the one case where Escape originally functioned sensibly. Rather, you'll have to use your mouse to click the X button to escape. But Slideshow mode is terrible anyway. Just use full screen mode instead.

Escape key no longer functioning to back out of photos in Event view

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.