Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to combine 2 projects in iMovie '11?

I am trying to combine 2 projects in iMovie, I use the select all and it only grabs the video and transitions, it does not grab the text I have added

iMac 24" 2.66Ghz 4 GB ram, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Timecapsule, 4 iPods

Posted on Oct 31, 2010 11:23 AM

13 replies

Nov 8, 2017 4:29 PM in response to Internet Enzyme

Thanks, that made it very clear - nothing like a picture to help! And I realized now that I misunderstood what you were using it for. Of course you were answering the question of how to combine projects, and I expect to be doing that.

I had mistakenly imagined this was a way to lengthen the duration of the whole project, add time to the maximum length it could be, so that iMovie would not refuse to lengthen slides or transitions, or change lots of things to a shorter duration. That's the worst problem I am having. But found I had iMovie 10 on my Mac and tried that - it seems to be not as stubborn and interferes less with all my elements when I change the duration of one. Just changes one or two at most. So am using that version. And will need to combine some projects this week, so thank you for the workaround for that!

Nov 8, 2017 4:15 PM in response to TerryDancer

User uploaded file

You can drag that slider, or you can simply use the keyboard shortcut of "⌘+" and "-" to zoom in and out. iMovie will not be able to show an entire project at once –even when fully zoomed out– if that project is over a certain length. The process I described in my original comment is more of a tedious work around than an elegant solution, and Apple should really include this as a feature.

Feb 23, 2012 9:06 AM in response to John Cogdell

John,

I know its been some time since you posted this but I too was having this issue and came upon your response/solution...and I'm so happy I did!

I am one who doesn't give up easily and I know I would have been sitting here for hours until I figured the problem out.

Exporting the project to something as simple as my desktop, and then importing it to the second project I wanted to merge it, with worked like a charm!

THANK YOU!! 🙂

Dec 23, 2010 2:18 AM in response to Ex-Windows Fanboy

Complete your edits on one of the projects, then export that project. Re-import to an Event. Now you can drag that Event into the other project, thus combining projects. When exporting, it's preferable to use Share>Export using QuickTime>Movie to QuickTime Movie. Under Options, select Video Settings as Apple Intermediate Codec and use the Current dimensions of the project.

John

Nov 27, 2016 2:59 PM in response to woodgear

Go to the Project you would like to combine. Make the timeline span as much footage as possible by moving the dial next to "Settings" all the way to the left. Highlight all clips you want. Press + C to copy. This will take awhile, depending on your project's size. When the copying is complete, go to the destination project and place your Cursor where you want to add the clips and press + V to paste. This will also take awhile, depending on the amount you copied.

How to combine 2 projects in iMovie '11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.