Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari "Failed to open page" errors

What would cause Safari to suddenly start getting "Failed to open page" errors from I web-site I was successfully browsing 2 minutes ago?
I was browsing REI.com; viewed several different pages, then tried to go to a different REi.com page and all of a sudden Safari won't load the page. and reports a "Failed to Open Page" error, with the excuse "the server where this page is located isn't responding"??
I thought maybe my internet connection had failed, but I tried some other sites cnn.com, apple.com and everything is just fine.
Then i went to a different computer on the same network and tried rei.com from Firefox and its just fine.

Any ideas or suggestions?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 31, 2010 12:22 PM

14 replies

Oct 31, 2010 12:47 PM in response to MATT BANEY

i completely shutdown and exited Safari.
restarted Safari, went to rei.com, and the page loaded fine, but then tried a second rei.com page and same problem, that page failed to open, and now the rei.com main page fails to open.
BUT Safari opens other external pages just fine ( yahoo.com, apple.com, facebook.com, etc); and the other computer on the same network, opens rei.com just fine.

Nov 12, 2010 8:37 AM in response to MATT BANEY

In the past week or two I have noticed this same message on tabs, but the page IS there and IS visible... it's just that every tab suddenly says "Failed to open page", and no matter how many times I refresh the page, the name does not return to the tab.

What's more, the problem comes and goes, and I cannot relate it to anything else I'm doing.
Very peculiar and it slows me down immensely since I cannot find a page by its tab name.

Nov 12, 2010 9:25 AM in response to MATT BANEY

If your Safari won't open, one or more of the following procedures should fix it:

1. Go to Home/Library/Safari/ folder and remove the following two files:

¥ history.plist
¥ lastsession.plist

(Safari may not load properly If these two files are corrupted.)

2. Go to Home/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/ and remove the contents of that folder.

(These are just webhistory files and are not required for Safari to run. However, similar to preference files, problems can arise if they have become corrupt.)

3. Locate the cookies.plist file that's located in the Home/Library/Cookies/ folder and remove it.

(Again, faults in stored cookies may interfere with Safari's launch.)

4. Check whether any of your third-party internet plug-ins may be interfering with the launch of Safari by carefully moving them to the desktop (do NOT delete them at this stage). You can find these in two places:

Home/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ folder, and Global plug-ins are located in the Macintosh HD/Library/Internet Plug-ins/ folder.

Also look in Library/Input Managers where other third party add-ons may lurk. If you find a SIMBL folder, please note that some SIMBLE.bundles may require updating or possibly removal.

Restart Safari and place them back in the correct folders, one at a time, closing and re-opening Safari each time. If you discover that one of them was causing the problem with launching Safari, trash it and download and install a fresh copy.

Dec 8, 2013 4:26 AM in response to MATT BANEY

I found this to be a recurring issue with the latest versions of Safari. I don't understand the issue, but it seems to occur when you change physical locations. And even after restarting Safari it still occurs.

Just do what I do and download Google Chrome for when Safari acts up. On the network at home I sometimes get Safari to work, which baffles me.

I hope this is resolved soon.

Safari "Failed to open page" errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.