Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Idle time/battery

What is the normal idle time for an iPad battery. I used to be able to keep my battery more or less charged if I was not using my iPad, now I cannot.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Nov 1, 2010 11:41 AM

10 replies

Apr 27, 2011 7:54 AM in response to FUGW

I went to the Genius bar yesterday because I was having a similar problem. Here's what they told me, which I've discovered is true after trying it:

When you put your iPad in "sleep" mode, it really isn't sleeping. It simply turns off the screen. Every app that is open will continue to run in the background. This is the flaw with Apple's multitasking.

To get maximum battery life, you need to quit apps before putting your iPad to sleep. To do this, double-click the Home button, which brings up all open apps at the bottom of the screen. Press and hold one of these open app icons, then press the Delete button that pops up (a dash within a red circle). Do this for each open app. You may be surprised how many open apps you have! At the Genius bar, they did a test on my iPad and it stated that I was low on application memory, and this was the reason why.

To further reduce your battery drainage, turn off WiFi, turn off Cellular Data, turn off Notifications, turn off Location Services, and reduce the brightness of your screen.

I wish in the next IOS update Apple would have a way to close all apps at once!

Idle time/battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.