Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rulers, resizing and measurement metrics

I'm posting this in hope someone bites.

Is there any way to set measurements in cropping to metric?

Is there a ruler function in the works for Aperture?

Is there something about resizing I am missing in Aperture?

It's a bit backwards shipping images over to old Photoshop droplets just so I can resize images to exact, professional specifications.

Any hints or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

G4 12" is my baby... but I've taken apart just about every other one., Mac OS X (10.6.4), I've take apart a lot of "other" computers, too.

Posted on Nov 2, 2010 12:32 AM

2 replies

Nov 5, 2010 10:40 AM in response to colorcanuck

colorcanuck wrote:
I'm posting this in hope someone bites.

Well, maybe a nibble.

Is there any way to set measurements in cropping to metric?

Usually, apps pick this up from your system prefs ("System Preferences→Language & Text→Formats→Measurement Units"). But note that the cropping function units are pixels. Images in Aperture are dimensioned only in pixels until printed.

Is there a ruler function in the works for Aperture?

Print Preview shows you rulers and dimensions in units of length.

Is there something about resizing I am missing in Aperture?

See above. You crop to proportion, and print to size.

It's a bit backwards shipping images over to old Photoshop droplets just so I can resize images to exact, professional specifications.

What professional specifications are you not able to attain?

Any hints or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Nov 9, 2010 8:50 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thanks for the nibble!

Excuse me while I move on to entrées... ;o)

For professional considerations, let's take a simple one:

Can anyone come up with a better solution than cut and pasting conversions?

• Produce a 35mm x 45mm passport photo from an 8mp 2448x3264ppi portrait
(chin to hairline measuring 25mm) not to exceed 150ppi (or dpi for that matter).
*35mm is 132.283464567ppi or 1.377952756 Imperial inches.
45mm is 170.078740157ppi or 1.771653543 Imperial inches.

Side Orders:

• OS Language and Text preferences are set to Metric. App still defaults to inches allowing custom input but only in Imperial Inches; no PPI (or DPI) or Metric options.

• Print Preview requires a custom page size; gives me Metric input fields from my OS, then converts to Imperial Inches as you shift between fields.
*(Even if I have the exact PDF (printer definition file) to target my output, going to print preview to produce a working file is like working in Microsoft Word)!

• There is no option I can find to specify an crop "ppi" or offer a "Save Crop As" so I gather crop does not (cannot) handle conversions.

• To confuse issues even further, Export Version offers DPI as an output value (without showing the original "dpi" or ppi. Which one are they talking about? ...Special thanks to the development "team" here).

•••••••••••••••••

*Condiments:

• Pepper: I'm using ppi for this discussion while trying to avoid the whole dpi discussion.
• Salt: http://www.unitconversion.org/unit_converter/typography-ex.html

Sorry if I sound a bit facetious, I'm actually just disappointed.

Try to take most of my commentary in good jest and fair humour to all.

Cheers and thank you ever so much!

Rulers, resizing and measurement metrics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.