Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion - not exporting alpha channel

I have a file I've been exporting with an alpha, but this last time I exported, and import into finalcut... The alpha doesn't work...

I checked my project settings, and it is set to Transparent.... And export settings have not changed... ProRes4444....

I know I can simply import the motion project into Finalcut, but that slows me down and the file is so short that it quickly exports as Movie, and it doesn't need rendering for me to preview in Finalcut.

Any body have any suggestions? Thanks

iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR

Posted on Nov 3, 2010 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2010 2:35 PM

A couple things to check.

1: Make absolutely sure you're export from motion is Color + Alpha, even if you've got it set to ProRes4444. You need to make sure you're actually exporting the alpha channel. Sometimes it'll reset itself of you switch settings. Just a good thing to double check.

2: When you import into FCP, for some reason I can't quite figure out yet, you have to tell FCP to acknowledge the alpha channel. That's in the Modify>Alpha Type menu.

See if that does anything for ya.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2010 2:35 PM in response to Christina Rodriguez

A couple things to check.

1: Make absolutely sure you're export from motion is Color + Alpha, even if you've got it set to ProRes4444. You need to make sure you're actually exporting the alpha channel. Sometimes it'll reset itself of you switch settings. Just a good thing to double check.

2: When you import into FCP, for some reason I can't quite figure out yet, you have to tell FCP to acknowledge the alpha channel. That's in the Modify>Alpha Type menu.

See if that does anything for ya.

Motion - not exporting alpha channel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.