Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari loads wrong page!!!

I'm trying to get safari to load a page link to the Seattle Post Intelligencer Newspaper.
www.seattlepi.com
Safari starts to load the page, I see "www.seattlepi.com" in the address bar, but then its replaced by this "http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/helpcentral/"
and then the yahoo help page is loaded.
This is happening both with link to the newspaper on other web pages, and also when trying to access the newspaper web-site from Safari bookmarks I've created.

Why would Safari load a completely different web site than what is specified in the link or the bookmark?

This is a brand new imac, less than one month old. This is not the first time Safari has done this! This is amazingly bad behavior, why would a browser be hijacking a web address and taking the user to another page.

I haven't used Safari in a couple years, and when I got my new iMac I thought I would try to use Safari because in general I like the Apple products, but I also assumed that Safari would have been improved in the last couple years, but it seems the opposite has happened.

Is Safari not really used that much? Should I just switch over to Firefox?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 3, 2010 11:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2010 11:40 PM

I noticed that as I type "http://www.seattlepi.com" in the Safari address bar, Safari adds in in lite blue text what it thinks is the title of the web page you're looking for. and I noticed that when I type "http://www.seattlepi.com" Safari thinks it "Help-Yahoo Help Central", so I thought it must be some Safari History confusion, so I did a reset of the Safari history. But no change.
Now when I type "http://www.seattlepi.com" in the address bar the lite blue text says "Seattle Post Intelligencer" BUT Safari still takes me to the Yahoo-Help-Central page.

I really can't believe a browser would do something like this. I've used Firefox a lot, and InternetExplorer and they both have a lot of problems, but I've never seen a browser hijack an address I specifically typed into the address bar and take me to a completely different site!!
Amazing!
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2010 11:40 PM in response to MATT BANEY

I noticed that as I type "http://www.seattlepi.com" in the Safari address bar, Safari adds in in lite blue text what it thinks is the title of the web page you're looking for. and I noticed that when I type "http://www.seattlepi.com" Safari thinks it "Help-Yahoo Help Central", so I thought it must be some Safari History confusion, so I did a reset of the Safari history. But no change.
Now when I type "http://www.seattlepi.com" in the address bar the lite blue text says "Seattle Post Intelligencer" BUT Safari still takes me to the Yahoo-Help-Central page.

I really can't believe a browser would do something like this. I've used Firefox a lot, and InternetExplorer and they both have a lot of problems, but I've never seen a browser hijack an address I specifically typed into the address bar and take me to a completely different site!!
Amazing!

Nov 4, 2010 12:17 AM in response to MATT BANEY

Tried another experiment, types "seattle newspapers" in the GoogleSearch bar on Safari, it brought up the Google page with several related links. Selected a link to the Tacoma News Tribune page, Safari brought up the Tacoma News page ok. Then I clicked a link on the Tacoma News page to another story and Safari brought up a Google page saying "the page you requested could not be found on this server", then when I tried to go back to the Tacoma News main page, Safari took me to a Google Page not found page.
Tried the google search again, now when I click on the link to the Tacoma News main page, Safari is taking me right to the Google Page Not Found page.

This is ridiculous!!! For some reason Safari must be saving some history or mapping of the url or linking it to some cached address, and its somehow screwed up that save address and has the url linked to the wrong address.
This is really amazing! How many times to I have to reset Safari and clear the cache to get it to work correctly? Or are there some temporary cache files that I need to find somewhere in some Safari folder and remove?

I thought an Apple/Mac product would be much better than this?
I guess its time to dump Safari and switch back to Firefox?

Nov 4, 2010 1:45 PM in response to Allan Jones

No extensions or plug-ins, and not behind a corporate firewall. I don't think there's any thing wrong with the PI site, the problem is that for some reason Safari has linked or mapped the PI url to a Yahoo address, and linked the TacomaNews url to a Google address?

It seems like the problem is related to getting a link from something like Yahoo or a Google search. IF that is the first way I access a site with Safari, then Safari seems to be saving some information linking that site with Yahoo or Google, (incorrectly), so then subsequent attempts to access that site get hijacked to Yahoo or Google.

IF I bring up Safari, and manually type in a new url into the address bar, or use a bookmark (to any site that I have not previously accessed via Yahoo or Google) then the sites load fine. BUT if the first access of the site was from a Yahoo or Google (or probably other search engines or news pages) then Safari tries to load the wrong page.

Nov 4, 2010 4:50 PM in response to MATT BANEY

Sorry--away from the computers for a while

I started a new session in Safari, then googled "seattle post" and clicked on the resulting link to open the SPI home page. Then I closed that and opened a new window and typed the url and stil got the proper home page.

I looked back through your other posts and didn't see if you tried emptying the Safari cache (under the "Safari" menu). Try that if you haven't.

My tries were with "accept all cookies" and "accept cookies only from sites oyu visit" (my usual setting) and it worked properly with both settings.

Nov 4, 2010 10:38 PM in response to Allan Jones

I emptied the Safari cache several times.
I did a "resetSafari" several times.
Still didn't fix the problem.

Shut down my computer last night, and rebooted today, and now going to a booked mark link to the seattle pi page worked ok. Also did a google search for tacoma newspaper and using links to the Tacoma News that way seemed to work.

So I guess all it takes to "fix" Safari is to empty the cache, do a full "resetSafari" and then reboot the computer, ... thats convenient.

Nov 23, 2010 2:22 AM in response to MATT BANEY

I have tried all the fixes mentioned and it has done nothing ,my iMac has behaved like this on and off for a year or so ...I have a mac Book 2 inches from it that performs all searches as it should ...anyone helping should focus on the imac not Mac Books or other devices.. as with you the most frustrating thing is it sometimes finds the Google home page and what ever you are looking for but then it can take up to 20 to 30 clicks backward and forward to get to the site you are looking for....I cant believe someone doesn't know a fix for it!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dec 7, 2010 10:15 PM in response to raden steve

I have a similar issue on two completely separate Macs since upgrading them to 10.6.5. After a few hours use, links within some web pages, in Safari, will resolve to very random places. For example I click a news article link on the Yahoo home page, and it takes me repeatedly to a monster.com job listing page. Or if I am in Yahoo mail and I clcik Calendar, it takes me right back to yahoo mail and does not open the calendar page. Totally repeatable once this behaviour starts. Tried using Firefox - same exact bugs occur there once this behavior starts. So its not just Safari!

If I run Cocktail and run the weekly script, the problem gets instantly fixed, for a few hours, then it eventually comes back. Cocktail always fixes it though.

It appears that some cache, perhaps the whatis or lookup databases (since those get rebuilt in the weekly script), are getting corrupted in 10.6.5, such that links get resolved to the incorrect addresses.

Happens on my MacPro Quadcore i7 as well as a friends MacBook Pro 17, 2009 unibody. Both started showing this problem on both firefox AND safari after the 10.6.5 update.

Help!!!!

Safari loads wrong page!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.