Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.bash_profile

Hello!

I need to edit my .bash_profile.
It doesn't exist (I checked in the Terminal using ls -a).
I know how to create the file in Terminal or Text Wrangler, I just don't know what to put in it.
Help :0)

Cheers!

MacBook Pro 4,1, Mac OS X (10.5.8), MBP 4,1 | 2.5 GHz CPU | 2 GB RAM | GeForce 8600 M GT

Posted on Nov 4, 2010 8:43 PM

7 replies

Nov 5, 2010 12:40 AM in response to RM Emmons

This is what I have in mine, plus a bunch of alias commands that I use routinely, but didn't include:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/Developer/Tools:/Developer/usr/bin/:/usr/X11/bin:/us r/libexec/:
export MANPATH="/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/Developer/usr/shar e/man:"

Just create it and then copy it to your home directory.

Nov 5, 2010 6:31 AM in response to RM Emmons

You do not get a .bash_profile by default, as it is ONLY needed if you want to modify bash shell environment when you start a new Terminal session. If you are happy with the default bash shell environment, then there is no need for a .bash_profile.
One final question, do I need to create .bashrc and .profile as well or will .bash-profile do? I am attempting to install RVM so I can learn Ruby on Rails on my own.

If you search "man bash", you will find a section on bash initialization files, and the rules for when different ones are invoked.

.profile is ONLY used if it exists and there is NO .bash_profile in your home directory. bash will NOT read both, and .bash_profile is selected over .profile if both happen to exist.

.bashrc is read when a subshell is created. For example, if you issue the command 'bash' while already in a Terminal session, or if you are in a Unix text editor and ask for a temporary subshell so you can do something and then return to the editor. Or other similar situations where a subshell is desired.

.bashrc is NOT read when a new Terminal session is created, unless you personally "source $HOME/.bashrc" as part of your .bash_profile.

The typical division of labor between .bash_profile and .bashrc is that environment variables and other once per new Terminal session activies are done in .bash_profile. Aliases, command prompt (PS1 - if you are dynamically changing it because you are in a subshell), and other settings that are not inherited by a subshell are put into .bashrc

Most Mac OS X users, that rarely use the Terminal, are just fine using .bash_profile, or no .bash_profile at all.

.bash_profile

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.