Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No network connection in iPhoto

Just trying to order a calendar for the first time and everything works fine until I press the 'Buy' button whereupon iPhoto announces:-

"A connection could not be established at this time. Please ensure your network connection is active and try again."

Internet, email and this chat seems to work OK so I'm not sure what's wrong. My version of iPhoto 08 is 7.1.5

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 2GB RAM, 250GB HD

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 5:54 AM

31 replies

Dec 4, 2010 8:54 AM in response to LarryHN

I just tried this today and my wife says we’ve been getting this same error ever since updating to iPhoto 11. Obviously we’ve restarted the computer many times since then. All the facebook and flickr accounts are listed they’re just “dark” and unclickable. And then you get the “no network connection” message. Lame if this is one of the standout features of the software. We never had a problem with the old one.

Dec 19, 2010 4:17 AM in response to jasminesushi

Right, I have a fix which worked for me.

I transferred the photos I needed from my Pictures folder onto a USB stick, made a new user account, transferred those stick pictures into the new Pictures folder. Then iPhoto in the new account was started and the photos imported. From there, the calendar was made up and when 'Buy' was clicked, everything happened as it should and I now have some calendars printing somewhere in cyberspace!

Apple Tech Support suggested a similar route with a second account but using the Public>Drop Box or Shared folders to be able to access these from either account. This didn't work for me as I had permission problems with locked folders so used my own simpler technique as described above.

So it looks like there's a problem in my original account which prevents me from ordering stuff via iPhoto but all other networking processes seem to work. I'm not even going to attempt to fix this as with the rare occurrence of ordering prints etc, I'll just do it from the second account.

Hope this of help to those with the same problem.

Mike

Dec 19, 2010 11:07 AM in response to MikeUnit11

Since you've narrowed down the problem to something in your primary user account the following may let you determine what it could be, possible a preference file.

First delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your User/Library/Preferences folder and try again.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding the the Option key. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

If the above didn't help it could be a preference file other than iPhoto's that's the culprit. Therefore

Trouble Shooting Preferences

1 - close all applications.

2 - open the Library folder in your Home account, Home/Library, and drag the Preferences folder to the Desktop. A new Preference folder will be immediately created in the Library.

3 - run the application again and determine if the problems is fixed.

4 - If the problem is fixed:

A - open the working Preferences folder (HD/Users/your_name/Library/Preferences).
B - Open the Preferences folder on the Desktop, select all of the contents and drag them into the working Preferences folder.
C - When the Copy window pops up check the "Apply to All" check box and then click on the Don't Replace button.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

5 - If the problem is NOT fixed, drag the Preferencess folder on the Desktop into the Library to replace the new one that was created.

User uploaded file Happy Holidays

Mar 30, 2011 6:40 AM in response to Granthod

I'm not tech savvy, but found this thread when having the same issue. I didn't want to have to setup another user account so I tried resetting the parameter RAM because it had just been suggested on another thread to fix a problem I was having with the DVD player on my MacMini so I figured I'd give it a try on this problem and VOILA! The problem is gone. To reset the parameter RAM just restart your Mac while holding down commandoption+PR. The start up sound will play twice and then you just let it boot up normally. Don't know how or why it works, but it did for me here and on the DVD player issue.

No network connection in iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.