Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with Radeon 5770 in Mac Pro 3,1

Ever since I put an Apple supplied Radeon 5770 in my 2008 Mac Pro (3,1), I've been getting random system hangs. The hangs have generally occurred when using Safari or Mail, though yesterday I got a hang when I tried to loan a Juniper client to go VPN. I see a "flash" just before the hang. I have run Apple Hardware Test (extended)and Tech Tools Pro and can find no problems in the card or the Mac Pro. I've been looking also at the system logs but can't find anything definitive. I was running an ATI 3870 before this and never had any problems, which leads me to think it's the 5770. Can anyone give me a clue how I might pin down the problem further? Thanks.

2.8 GHz 8 Core Mac Pro, 2.53 13" GHz MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 10:41 AM

21 replies

Nov 6, 2010 9:28 AM in response to Gadget

Hatter,

We have several mac pro 3,1 in our lab with 5770 without any problem. Current drivers are out and work fine. I think the OP has some other underlying problems. Need to look in his logs to narrows it down and run AHT on his systems. Then use diskwarrior his or her system.

I hope this will help.

WJP&&

Nov 6, 2010 11:34 AM in response to willp1

As I said in my first post, I have run AHT several times and it hasn't turned up anything. I have also been looking at the logs and haven't found anything definitive, though I did see some data that made me suspicious of a Core Graphics function. Have also run Tech Tool Pro (as I stated) and it found no problems. Not going to buy Diskwarrior since I'm not convinced this is a disk problem (I'd swap the disk out instead), although the hangs do tend to cause (but not always) some invalid directory errors that Disk Utility fixes. The visual flash I've seen when this occurs (and it is getting less frequent as I run the card longer) makes me think this is some kind of memory access or GPU glitch. I'm hoping, if it is associated with Core Graphics calls, that maybe 10.6.5 will help me with that, though I haven't looked at what's fixed in that package.

Nov 6, 2010 11:52 AM in response to Gadget

Ive never read or heard of TTPro being useful and finding video card problems.

And never heard of anyone regretting buying and using Disk Warrior. Such a tool WORKS BEST when used to prevent or minimize, not AFTER the fact.

Latest/current, whatever you call it, is not the same driver found on Mac Pro shipping currently. And drivers take time and work. Of course ATI has had the 5770 for ages already so there should have been drivers out ages ago, like last December even.

CS4/5 doesn't release video memory being used even if you quit, so there could well be interaction between programs. And Adobe + Apple have their own view of OpenGL.

Nov 6, 2010 12:22 PM in response to The hatter

I have the 2008 mac pro, just bought the 27" led cinema display. The apple support person recommended the ATI Radeon 5770 Graphics upgrade. In reading other postings it appears some have had problems once installing the upgrade.

I know very little about computers, which is why I wanted the simplicity of the Mac for movie/photos editing, etc. Should I be concerned about the upgrade?

Nov 6, 2010 12:50 PM in response to The hatter

As I also said, I've run AHT and TTPro to see what they would turn up. No hits on either. I'm not knocking Diskwarrior; I used to have a copy around here. I simply haven't shown a need for it; good discipline and Disk Utility has worked great for me for years running on a multitude of Macs. If you want to suggest a good video card diagnostics utility for Radeon 5000 series card under OS X, I'm all ears.

I'm not running CS 4 or 5 (and never said I was). I do have CS3 here but it has never been involved in any of this. I am aware of the delta you're talking about, but don't see what that has to do with helping me troubleshoot my problem.

Lastly, I spent a lot of time searching the web for other 2008 Mac Pro owners running the 5770 and complaining about hangs under SL. I really couldn't find anything, which is why I posted here. That fact also makes me lean toward my particular card or config as the root cause of the problem. I'm looking for another tool or technique I can use that will prove helpful, and so far, no one has suggested anything I haven't done . If this problem was disk related, it would probably tend to show up no matter what video card I had in here. That has not been the case.

Nov 7, 2010 12:57 AM in response to Gadget

The 5770 could be bad. I have a 5770 in my MP 3.1 and it freezes my Mac (I do have the latest drivers). You are the only person I came across with the similar problem. My problem went away after putting my old 8800 back in.

Does you monitor goes to sleep like there is no signal coming from the card?

Apple has examined my Console messages and couldn't find any software issue.

I tried to get Applecare to exchange the card. They refused (2008 not supported :-)) But, they were kind enough to give me a full refund on the card. It's a nice card. I'm tempted to order a new card to prove the last card was defective.

Nov 7, 2010 5:19 AM in response to Ein

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how Apple would react if I tried to return the card but did think they would be hesitant to allow me to return it. Now I know.

Still working on mine. The problem seems to happen less as I run the card. Also, I found some calls in my logs to some vmware fusion components that were loading at start. They were left over from a demo I tried and later removed. I also pulled out some PowerMate "helpers" that were loading at start since I'm not using my PowerMate right now. I'm chugging along trying to see if removing those make the difference. So far so good, but the problem is sporadic and it sometimes takes a day or two before it pops up.

Nov 11, 2010 3:39 PM in response to Ein

Thanks for the help. I wanted to wait until 10.6.5 was released to see if it might make a difference before going down the return/refund route. It looks like it has. I ran my 3870 for 2 days, did the update, and put the 5770 back in. I've been running the machine since the update came out yesterday and haven't experienced any hangs. At least for now, the update seem to have cured it. If that turns out not to be the case, I'll come back in here and comment.

Trouble with Radeon 5770 in Mac Pro 3,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.