Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I HATE MY APPLE TV!!!

This new Apple TV is driving me nuts... half the time Netflix say "service not available" (yet i turn around and use my Wii and Netflix plays great on the Wii.

Also, it screws up my wireless almost every time I watch a movie... get part way in, and my router drops my internet connection, and i have to reset my modem and router (yet i use my connection for MULTIPLE computers in the house every day, run a couple of ip cameras etc... flawlessly... UNTIL i use my Apple TV.

Tonight, i went to watch a movie on Netflix... the video played, but NO AUDIO!... Then i watched the same movie JUST FINE on my Wii.

I'm not an Apple Basher (I have a MacBookPro and a bunch of other Apple stuff... i love all of it, but the APPLE TV is crap!

Can I return it? I've had it about a month now.... i'm totally fed up with this piece of crap.

Apple TV 2nd Generation

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 7:05 PM

60 replies

Nov 27, 2017 4:47 PM in response to johnstonf

Just bought a Mac Mini, airport extreme and 2 ATV2 last night... got the router and mac mini set-up and updated.

Haven't unpacked the ATV2 units yet... and after reading this and other threads, I don't think I even want to try!!

I have an older HD-ready TV (Sony KF-42WE620)... it only has one DVI input... I thought I could simply get an HDMI switch... found out most of these don't work, because the ATV2 is always on and sending a signal...

Even direct plug into TV could be problematic, if not HDCP compatible... yeesh... I do have one newer TV, Sony Bravia 32BX300, with two HDMI inputs... I assume that one would work... but then again, wireless streaming from basement router to second floor bedroom might be a problem...

Nov 27, 2017 4:47 PM in response to Community User

well, got the AppleTV connected to Sony kdl- 32bx300 without any problems... very slick. And streaming from my basement Airport Extreme router to 2nd floor bedroom is flawless...

Unfortunately, my Older Sony Grand Wega ain't going to work... from what I've read, I think I'll save myselft the aggravation and not even bother... unless anyone has any advice or luck with thus type of tv... HDMI to DVI connection... tv specs don't list it as being HDCP compliant .... too bad, was looking forward to apple TV on the widescreen...

Nov 27, 2017 4:47 PM in response to Joni71

Thanks for the tip... well, I bought a Rocketfish 4 port hdmi switch... connected my cable box and apple tv with a pair of $10 hdmi cables..and my existing hdmi to dvi rocketfish cable.

Watched an HD movie the other night (Wanted)... no lag, movie played instantly, in HD quality and dolby digital sound.

No hdcp errors ... the only minor issue is the switch... sync issues if the device powers up before the switch.. switch is auto, but can also be manualy set to correct input.

Nov 5, 2010 7:27 PM in response to johnstonf

Sorry to hear you are having problems but that doesn't mean the product is crap. I have been more than happy with mine and had no problems, exception being one little bug in the firmware.

I'm not saying others haven't had problems, but there are also others who are having the same experience as me.

Maybe there are too many things relaying on your network at one time (other computers hogging bandwidth, peak traffic etc). Only you know your setup. I'm sure you've called apple support and/or ISP.

If you feel you've tried everything and you want to return that's your decision.

Nov 5, 2010 8:24 PM in response to vazandrew

Thanks for your input...

My network, from what I can tell, is great... DSL connection and good and solid. My son, when he was home, had his whole band over, and there were 4 other guys all walking around with their macbooks and Skyping(video), etc. Now, it's just me and my wife and no other computers (or maybe one laptop doing browsing) while we are trying to use the Apple TV.

I was hoping there might be a firmware update for the Apple TV when i went on today, but nothing... it is up-to-date.

Also, like i said, i turn around and watch the same thing on the Wii, and i have YET to have a hang up with it... it just rungs great (wireless too), so that tells me that my wireless is fine (as well as other laptops that all run fine all the time)... so SOMETHING is very different in how the AppleTv is doing it's streaming or something...

I guess i would run a TP cable (long run and lot of work) over to it, but when the Wii runs Netflix so well, I really don't have a huge need for the AppleTv, so I can't really see putting the work into running a cable (but i may, just so i can use the iTunes and radio on the Apple TV)... but I do see issues with the wireless being talked about, and it's just so weird how it KILLS my router, requiring a reboot... and it happens far too often to be coincidence. I also don't get this Netflix "no service" even though my internet is up, and I go on the Wii at the same time, and it connects to Netflix... tells me that the Apple-Netflix cooperation isn't as tight as it should be.

Nov 7, 2010 2:43 PM in response to johnstonf

I had a similar problem tonight. I tried to watch a TV show I had on my MacBook. ATV kept dropping the network connection, and kept kicking my Macbook off too. After lots of cursing and resetting, I eventually got them both to work, but then it dropped the connection in the middle of the show. Got it up again, finished the show, and it dropped the connection again. (And every time that happened, I'd have to scan, scan, scan again, and then re-enter my password when it finally found the network.) For the record, the ATV is about 10 feet from my Time Capsule base station so I know it's getting plenty of signal, and all my hardware is Apple, so it should work perfectly. Up until this point, my wireless network had been very reliable, with plenty of signal strength inside and outside my house. Pretty frustrating experience so far.

I HATE MY APPLE TV!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.