Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air Extremely Slow Wireless

Hello All,

Got my brand new MB-Air and from the get-go noticed extremely slow wireless performance. I did a bit of digging and here is what I found.

The MB-Air works OK with cheap (consumer) wireless APs, however when used in conjunction with the commercial APs most of which use the Atheros chipset the performance is horrible. I found that when connecting to APs that use Atheros' commercial chipset, the MB-Air connects with 802.11 G specs instead of N even when the signal metrics are excellent such as -39 RSSI.

Moreover, even With the 802.11 G connection at 54Mbps the performance is both sluggish and latent. Small file transfers have a 50/50 shot at working and large file transfers seem to die reliably. Albeit this could be an issue with Apple's implementation of SMB / Samba which is rather poor.

I have tried to turn off Bluetooth to see if my experience is different. We'll see.

I would be interested in feedback from people who are also experiencing the same poor wireless performance to learn the chipset of the AP they are having issues with.

By-the-way -- I will take a fix, if someone has come up with one. However my guess is that this is an engineering issue that Apple has to fix.

BP

Macbook Air Late 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 4:14 AM

106 replies

Mar 16, 2017 12:44 PM in response to Bpasdar

Just signed in to say that I was experiencing very low speeds on my air with high speeds on my IMAC. Very obvious problems with the Air only. I turned my bluetooth off and I went from 8 download speed to 50 in the blink of an eye. Wow. And to think, I just thought my Air had come to a place where it was old and needing replaced for a few months now.

Nov 6, 2010 6:42 AM in response to Bpasdar

My experience has been the exact opposite. I have four other PC's, two top of the line, and none give me the wireless performance of my MBA, which I have carried all over and connected on a wide variety on networks, some huge public facilities. At home, my Air achieves published AT&T download/upload speeds while my PC's are running well if they get half that. Large downloads up to almost 1GB have been fast with no hiccups. I can't explain the difference, but I can sure see it. I do have BT turned off.

Nov 6, 2010 7:50 AM in response to Bpasdar

Nope, I get similar fast results using the wireless network at a 1,000 bed medical complex that spans about 8 city blocks. I doubt that is a consumer grade setup. I'd take it in to an Apple store and have a diagnostic run on it if it is so slow. That just doesn't sound right. Apple is now targeting Fortune 500 companies too (with great success)and I can't see how they would put out a product like this that would not play nice in that environment.

Nov 29, 2010 9:53 PM in response to James_Gentry

James_Gentry wrote:
How do I change the channel on the extreme? Any additional suggestions?

Start the AirPort Utility, select your AirPort Extreme in the left side bar, then click the "Manual Setup" button at the bottom of the main window.

Click on the "AirPort" icon at the top of the window and on the "Wireless" tab.

Change the channel from "Automatic" to 1, 6 or 11, then click "Update" and allow your AirPort Express to reboot and see if your throughput improves.

Jan 21, 2011 9:13 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

This did the trick for me as well on my new MB Air. However, I had to play around with a few different channel changes before the WiFi connection started running as it should. Obviously would be better if this problem didn't exist at all (resulted in about 30 mins of frustration before I found this forum), but fixed nonetheless.

Thanks for the help -

Feb 14, 2011 8:14 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Sitting side-by-side, my MBA was averaging less than 1 Mb/s on downloads, and my MBP more than 9 Mb/s. The MBP was fully ten times faster. As you can imagine, viewing videos was a ragged, unpleasant experience on the MBA.
I'm using an early wireless-N Belkin router, so it didn't show up on airport utility, thus i couldn't change channels there as proposed on this thread. But to isolate the problem, at my brother's suggestion i took both computers to a Starbucks, and observed the two computers downloading there at equal speeds. So clearly the problem wasn't with my MBA, but my router.
I went to Belkin's website to figure out how to change channels on the router, and checked for firmware updates. There was one, so i figured I'd do that before attacking the "changing channels" task. I upgraded the firmware, and with that simple fix my MBA is happily zipping along now with >9 Mb/s downloads, same as the MBP. More than TEN times faster than before. My iPhone download speeds increased more than tenfold, too.
My advice, if you're having wireless problems with your MBA: First make sure your router's running the latest firmware.

Macbook Air Extremely Slow Wireless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.