Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Library: On External Drive

I currently use a MacBook Pro with an external drive to house my iTunes library. I now also have a new MacBook Air and was wondering if I could use the same external hard drive? I'd like to be able to attach the external hard drive and use either Mac with my library.

Any problems with this setup?

MacBook Pro, iMac: i7, 8GB, Nano 6G, ATV2, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 11:50 AM

it would be ideal if the entire iTunes folder (not just the iTunes music folder) were on the external. launch iTunes while holding the option key, click on +choose library+ when prompted, and select the iTunes folder on the external.

do this on each Mac once and they both will use the same library henceforth upon launching iTunes. obviously, the external needs to be mounted on either machine's desktop before you launch iTunes to make it work. also, it goes without saying that only one Mac @ a time can access the library.

J GG

User uploaded file
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2010 11:50 AM in response to Michael M Cohen

it would be ideal if the entire iTunes folder (not just the iTunes music folder) were on the external. launch iTunes while holding the option key, click on +choose library+ when prompted, and select the iTunes folder on the external.

do this on each Mac once and they both will use the same library henceforth upon launching iTunes. obviously, the external needs to be mounted on either machine's desktop before you launch iTunes to make it work. also, it goes without saying that only one Mac @ a time can access the library.

J GG

User uploaded file

iTunes Library: On External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.