Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restored system from Time Capsule but now lost access to the backup files

Last week, my drive flaked out and I had to restore my system from my Time Capsule. Now everything is back to normal except that I've noticed that upon trying to auto backup my Mac Pro, it says the disk is full. When I use Time Machine to access my old files, it appears I no longer have access to anything I had previous to restoring my system from my Time Capsule. I believe the link to the old backup file is broken and it's trying to create a new full backup file, in addition to keeping the old file.

Is this normal behaviour after a full restore from a Time Capsule or can I still somehow relink my computer to the file from which it was restored, and still have access to my backup files?

Mac Pro Dual Quad Core 2.8 / 15" Unibody Macbook Pro 2.4 Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.4), ???

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 2:35 PM

2 replies

Nov 6, 2010 3:49 PM in response to kencanuck

kencanuck wrote:
Last week, my drive flaked out and I had to restore my system from my Time Capsule. Now everything is back to normal except that I've noticed that upon trying to auto backup my Mac Pro, it says the disk is full.

Yes; everything you restored is treated as changed and will be backed-up again: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1338 Time Machine most likely deleted all but the last backup, trying to make room for the new one.

When I use Time Machine to access my old files, it appears I no longer have access to anything I had previous to restoring my system from my Time Capsule.

Exactly how did you restore? Did you restore your entire system, starting with your Snow Leopard Install disc?

If you didn't, it's possible the account you're using is not recognized as the same one on your backups.

Can you see the last backup? If not, see #E2 in [Time Machine - Troubleshooting|http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/Troubleshooting.html] (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of the +Time Machine+ forum).

Message was edited by: Pondini

Nov 6, 2010 4:05 PM in response to Pondini

Thanks for the info. I restored using the Snow Leopard install disc, which is why I found it weird I cannot access anything previous to November 2nd, when I restored from backup.

Either way, if Time Machine is needing to back up my entire system after the restore, I have no choice but to erase my Time Capsule and back up everything from scratch. As it is now, there's not enough room to hold my old backup and do a completely new one as well. My system should be current so I'm just going to cross my fingers and go.

Thanks for the help.

Restored system from Time Capsule but now lost access to the backup files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.