Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'New' HD problems

Okay - I've got my 120GB Maxtor disk in here. I recently put in the IBM 60GB disk that came with the QS (which had been sitting unused for a month...maybe that has something to do with it?) The problem is, now I get the universal no symbol when starting up. It does eventually boot into Tiger on the 120GB disk, and runs fine. Except when I run Disk Utility. It sees the 120GB disk and then causes a kernel panic while trying to access the other disk.

Needless to say, the 60GB disk does not show up on the desktop, but the kernel panic messages always say something about the ATA controller. I'm wondering if one of the buses is shot. I tried booting from an old Jaguar disc (can't find the one for Tiger at the moment) and it kernel panics as soon as I do anything that might constitute input (move the mouse, type) and a Panther disc gets into Disk Utility and sees nothing at all, as does the Quicksilver 10.1 disc. OS 9 bombs, but doesn't say what crashed.

PM G4 QuickSilver, 867MHz, Mac OS X (10.4.3), 120GB Maxtor HD, 640MB RAM

Posted on Dec 9, 2005 4:38 PM

8 replies

Dec 10, 2005 10:33 AM in response to upbeatpenguin

Hi, Upbeat!

Joe may be on to the problem... sounds like a drive configuration problem or, possibly, a drive gone awry, rather than a defective bus. I'd follow his lead and check the master/slave settings on the drives, as well as their respective positioning on the ribbon cable before jumping to a conclusion about a bus hardware defect.

Gary

1GH DP G4 Quicksilver 2002, 400MH B&W rev.2 G3, Mac SE30 Mac OS X (10.4.2) 5G iPod, Epson 2200 & R300 & LW Select 360 Printers, Epson 3200 Scanner

Dec 10, 2005 5:02 PM in response to upbeatpenguin

Upbeat:

You might try repairing the Drive using Disk Utility while booted from your OS X install disk. BTW - are you certain that the jumper settings for the IBM are correct? Here's a link to double-check them (Maxtor is there as well):

http://eshop.macsales.com/Tech/manuals/idehdsettings/IBM72.pdf

Master drive must be connected to the end of the ribbon cable, with the slave on the inline connection, to be configured properly...

Gary

Dec 10, 2005 7:08 PM in response to Majordadusma

I tried that, but no go there either.

I gave up and took it to the Apple Store. The drive was put into a Quicksilver 2002 they had in the back room -- it didn't work either. They took the drive apart and found that the chip had a crack in it (no clue how that got there, honestly!)

I already have more than enough space on my 120GB drive, so I asked about a processor upgrade. Shame that I missed out on the 60GB drive.

Unrelated: They had a dual 1Ghz card someone left that apparently didn't work in their machine, and they stuck it in this one and it runs GREAT. A little louder than the old 867, but I got some money for that one. So I got dual 1Ghz G4s for $40, essentially. I don't know what brand G4 is in there right now, but it's solid so far and Logic is running much more smoothly.

'New' HD problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.