Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting locked file on desktop

I transferred QuickBook files from a PC to my Mac. I can run QB for Mac easily, but the transfer left a locked .qbw file on my desktop. This is a QB backup for Windows file. I cannot open it with QB for Mac. I am trying to delete it but can't because it is locked. It is no big deal, but I would love to get it off my Desktop. Any ideas? I tried to change permissions in the Get Info window, but couldn't. Someone on the MacBook forum suggested a set of commands in Terminal, but that didn't work. I tried to contact Intuit, but they require an Intuit ID which I don't have. Thanks. I am barely familiar with the workings of Terminal. Any simply explained help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Mac Book Pro 2.66, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 12:20 PM

3 replies

Nov 7, 2010 3:37 PM in response to Ed Colman

Open Terminal (Application->Utilities->Terminal, then
1) enter "sudo rm -i ",
2) then drag the file into the Terminal window (this is a shortcut to typing the files path),
3) then press enter
4) enter your password
5) if the file is indeed the one you want deleted, then enter "y' (this deletion cannot be undone)

Deleting locked file on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.