Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert a mobile account into a local account

Hello everyone!

I originally had to convert local accounts to mobile accounts, but the mobile accounts are not working for us. Seems to be unstable at times and just not what we're looking for. Now I want to change these mobile accounts back to local accounts. Oooor if there is a way to disable sync services, that would be fine.

I took the user out of the group that had our mobile account preferences, but the user is still backing up to the server.

Thanks

xserve 10.5

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 7:17 AM

14 replies

Jan 23, 2011 11:45 AM in response to Abel408

The way we do it is basically the same in either direction with the basic goal of retaining the user's data and settings:

1) delete the user from the local machine, but leaving the home folder as is (the home folder will be changed to +user (deleted)+ )

2) recreate the user account either as a new local account (from system prefs), or a new mobile account (by logging in and creating the account, then logout) as required.

3) as an admin, delete the default home folder that was created when the account was created. I usually do this from the command line : sudo rm -rf /Users/ user

4) again from the command line, change the name of the home folder : sudo mv /Users/+user (deleted)+ /Users/ user

5) finally change the permissions on the home folder: sudo chown -R /Users/+user user+

Test, it should be good from there.

Miles

Apr 2, 2011 5:02 PM in response to Miles Muri

I follow similar procedures except I don't use Terminal. For #3 I just move it to the trash using an administrative account. For #4 I use Get Info to change group permissions on Users and the username folder so I can remove the (Deleted) from the name of the folder, and then I change the permissions back using Get Info. For #5 I use Batchmod to change only the Owner on the users home folder and all subfolders. Although the owner name reads correctly before this step it is not. After this step the former mobile account is a local account.

Message was edited by: GLMyers

Convert a mobile account into a local account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.