Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to un-update an app?

I like the older version better, the newer version crashes immediately upon opening it. What the **** is the point of updating something if it's going to make it non-usable?!

powermac 11,2, Mac OS X (10.4.11), ipod touch, nano, shuffle iphone 3GS and iphone4 , Windows Vista

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 9:29 AM

20 replies

Nov 8, 2010 9:41 AM in response to 2xxand1xy__

If you have not backup/sync your iphone yet after you updated, go to your itune's folder and look for that app. Copy that app to another location. Then delete your app from your iphone and sync. Copy your app back into your itune's folder and sync again. Make sure your app is checked in the app tab. I am assuming you backuped your iphone after you loaded your previous version.

Nov 8, 2010 10:14 AM in response to 2xxand1xy__

If a reset does not fix your issue you may need to restore your iPhone and load the app again.

Before doing a restore though I would go to the developer's website and see if there are other reports about problems with the upgrade. On one of mine there was a posting from the developer that there was an issue and it would be fixed in the next upgrade which appeared shortly after that.

Nov 8, 2010 10:45 AM in response to paulcb

paulcb wrote:
It obviously had nothing to do with your first question. It was to point out the absurdity of your second.

OMG! Do you really get enjoyment out of doing what you did?
*The first question was the one I wanted answering!*

I guess I should have refrained from phrasing that second part as a question. I should have just stated that it's frustrating to update apps and then have them not work. I was simply wondering if there was a way to revert back. I thought that most of the users here would be able to differentiate between a real question and a frustrated vent!

Nov 8, 2010 11:19 AM in response to 2xxand1xy__

If you haven't yet emptied your Trash, you will find the old version of the app in there. It was moved out of your /Users/<your_name>/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications/ folder during the update and replaced with the newer version. Just drag the old version back into the Mobile Applications folder and remove the new version. Next time you sync through iTunes, the old version should be put back on your iPhone.

I successfully did this when an app update made it iOS4-only.... I rolled back to the previous version that was still 3.1.3 compatible.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Nov 8, 2010 11:47 AM in response to Rob Crestani

*Thank you so much!!!*

They were all in the trash and it hadn't been emptied.

My daughter won't ever update apps. She's afraid she won't like something about the new one or that it won't work. (She's seen it happen to me)

I now have a folder with all of my old apps in it in case there is a problem with a new one. I really appreciate it. That is exactly what I was looking for!

Is there a way to un-update an app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.