Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

complicated file mangement question

This will be a long question. Patience is required. Any help will be appreciated. This is my first big FCE project and I am self-taught.

Thirty something years ago a friend of mine shot a 16mm B&W movie of a concert of a band I was in. It was never finished. I now have digital transfers of the twelve reels of film that survived. They were never labeled or cataloged in any way. They have no sound or sync. Each reel is now a clip as follows:

NTSC-CCIR 601
20 MB/sec
uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2
29.97 fps
720x486
creator- Quick Time Launcher

For clarity I will refer to these transfer files (there are twelve) as the reels/ even though I know they actually clips. Each one of these reels contains dozens of shots of the show. Three cameras were used. A true dogs breakfast of epic proportions. The stuff is, however, quite amazing and I really want to put this thing together.

My problem is breaking up the reels into separate movable clips that I will then manually locate on the timeline to sync up to the soundtrack. (A soundtrack was separately recorded. It exists as a wav. file which I have). I keep getting render issues when simply loading the reels into the timeline and attempting to cut the clips into smaller clips.

My aim is to end up with all my new smaller clips, labeled and cataloged in the browser, ready to drop in the timeline and move around as I wish. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2), LaCie d2 quadra eSATA external as scratch disc

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 4:10 PM

9 replies

Nov 8, 2010 4:31 PM in response to Harri P

720x486 NTSC is a non-standard format. You should first use the free [MPEG Streamclip|http://www.squared5.com> to convert these files to DV-NTSC at a frame size of 720x480 - that should clear up your render issues. I'd also recommend using Streamclip to convert your audio file to AIFF at 48kHz, which is more compatible with the program and will not have to be rendered as well.

As far as organizing the smaller clips is concerned, I'd recommend first forming subclips of the reels before trying to edit them into the timeline. A couple good methods are detailed here:
http://www.geniusdv.com/weblog/archives/creatingsubclips_in_final_cutpro.php

Sasha

Nov 8, 2010 4:41 PM in response to Harri P

Hello Harri, and welcome to the FCE forum.

For starters, pls. open one of these files in QuickTime Player, then do +Window > Show Movie Inspector+ and tell us what it says for Format. Also, are the 12 video files QuickTime files?

The +720x486 uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2+ doesn't sound right and may be an issue, if your files are actually that. I suspect however that you really have DV video, which is 720x480, compressed, 4:1:1. Although you may need to convert the files to QuickTime/Apple DV DVCPRO NTSC before using them in FCE. Let's see what QuickTime first says about the format.

Nov 8, 2010 5:02 PM in response to Harri P

Blackmagic codec. Uncompressed 4:2:2 indeed.

I take it you have already imported one or more files into FCE, placed them in a DV-NTSC sequence and you are being prompted to render everything?

You are going to have to convert these to QuickTime/Apple DV DVCPRO NTSC in order to use them in FCE. MPEG Streamclip should be able to do this for you. Try it on one file; import the resulting converted file into FCE and see if there's a difference.

Either that, or get Final Cut Pro.

complicated file mangement question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.