Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning old iPhone 3gs into a (virtual) iTouch after purchase of iPhone 4

I had this great idea to use my old 3gs phone as an iTouch and load it with DIFFERENT music than my iphone so I have twice the capacity of music.

I had ANOTHER great idea to reformat the old 3gs to factory settings and then reload only what I want. You know, a fresh start.

The first idea was good, the second....

Now my phone 3gs wants me to reactivate it as a phone but I don't want to do that. I have the iPhone 4 and that's my main phone.

Question: How do I get my iphone 3gs to work as an iTouch without transferring over my phone number from the new phone to the old?

Thanks for your help. Ugh.

27" iMac Intel Quad Core 2.6 ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.3), MB Pro Intel c2d 2.2 ghz, 64 gb iPad, 32gb iPhone 3gs, 160 gb ATV, 160 gb iPod

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 6:45 PM

3 replies

Nov 8, 2010 7:10 PM in response to iRob 2.0

Just remove the SIM card, the phone number is tied to the SIM not the phone. However the SIM is married to the particular iPhone it comes with. If you have already activated a new iPhone 4 then your number is already transferred and now tied to that new SIM card. Remove the SIM from the 3GS and restore it, ignore any requests for activation. You can use it without activation.

Turning old iPhone 3gs into a (virtual) iTouch after purchase of iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.