Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating Albums in iPhoto '11.

I have repeatedly failed in my attempts to create albums. When I create a new album it is immediately filled by the whole Pictures file. If I then select photos from it, of course it declines to move them because to it they are already there.
How can I overcome this problem please.

Brian Hope

MacMini, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 2009 Highest Spec Mac Mini - twin Intel.

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 12:37 AM

9 replies

Nov 9, 2010 1:25 AM in response to Brian Hope1

Brian

What's happening there is that iPhoto is making an Album from whatever is selected when you make the new Album. However, it's assuming that when you don't deliberately select something that all the Photos are selected.

Workaround: Make sure you have at least One phot deliberately selected. This will make an Album with that photot. You can then add photos as you need.

Edit: Typing shift-command-n will make a new blank album.

Regards

TD

Message was edited by: Terence Devlin

Nov 10, 2010 11:33 AM in response to Brian Hope1

I have also noticed that if you try to create a blank album, it trying to dump all your photos in it. I have found that you must select the photos FIRST, and then tell it to create an album (you can rename it after if you need to). Otherwise...yes, it's dumping all your other photos into it.

Whatever you do, though....DO NOT EMPTY YOUR IPHOTO TRASH! There is another glitch causing it to instead delete your entire library (I speaketh from experience) ;-(

Dec 29, 2010 11:43 AM in response to lmgreenfield

I agree, I just got a new mac for my son and am teaching him how to get all his photos organized. I am getting ready to upgrade to I-Life 11. and after I was showing him how to organize he even said this is stupid. BeforeI could just create an album and drag the photos I want into it. It seem very convoluted and harder the new way, short cuts or not

Sep 12, 2011 2:02 PM in response to Ileen Cuccaro

God knows why they thought reducing the amount of buttons or menu items made life easier! I have used iPhoto for 8 years and never had a problem. Now with my new iPhoto 11 I cannot make a new empty album, and it took me forever to even find the new album button on the far bottom right!

I cannot even find a way to make vertical scroll bars appear so I can click instead of drag my finger.

I thought Apple was getting more intuitive, not less!

Creating Albums in iPhoto '11.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.