Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

faint stuttering / clicking sound from 13" air

Hi,

Just received a replacement for an air with the screen issues but I noticed there is a faint stuttering/clicking sound...Not sure where it is coming from but it's around the top left area of the keyboard. It is always on so it's definitely not the fan and it is pretty faint.

Just wondering if this is normal...Basically just curious if your fan is not on, how quiet is your air? Do you hear anything?

thanks!

Macbook Air 13.3 Late 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 4GB RAM, 256GB Drive C2D 2.13 GHz

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 3:38 AM

10 replies

Dec 4, 2010 6:31 AM in response to Hobokendippy

I had a similar problem with my 13" MBA. There are two diagnostics you can run. First is the onboard Apple diagnostics. All you need to do is to shut down your MBA and then boot while holding the D key down. Be very patient! It takes a long time to boot the diagnostic software. Once it is running, select your language and run the shorter of the diagnostic tests. It will still take a long time to run, so be patient!

The other test you could run is to add iStat to your Dashboard widgets. Check the fan RPM. If it is zero, look no further.

The clicking sound is the fan trying to start up (and failing).

I had to take my MBA to the Apple Store (Genius Bar) where they verified the fan failure and replaced my MBA with another unit. Repair would have taken several days.

Feb 16, 2012 4:38 PM in response to morganhk

morganhk wrote:

just hit the bottom of the computer with your fist, not too gently or too hard. No seriously this works, the fan is hitting something and just tap it and it starts up again and no clicking!!

Thanks! This worked!!!

My relatively new 11" MBA was having this faint clicking sound and iStat Pro reported Exhaust Fan at 0 rpm. The CPU temp got up to 82C!

I applied one moderate upwards slap with the palm of my hand toward the middle of the upper left (warm side) of my MBA and the fan started right up. It is now working fine!

faint stuttering / clicking sound from 13" air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.