Skip navigation

faint stuttering / clicking sound from 13" air

5041 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2013 12:15 PM by RonPait RSS
Hobokendippy Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 9, 2010 3:38 AM
Hi,

Just received a replacement for an air with the screen issues but I noticed there is a faint stuttering/clicking sound...Not sure where it is coming from but it's around the top left area of the keyboard. It is always on so it's definitely not the fan and it is pretty faint.

Just wondering if this is normal...Basically just curious if your fan is not on, how quiet is your air? Do you hear anything?

thanks!
Macbook Air 13.3 Late 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 4GB RAM, 256GB Drive C2D 2.13 GHz
  • ericcartman Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Nov 10, 2010 3:37 PM (in response to Hobokendippy)
    lots of reviews that i read said that the MBA was especially quiet.(sorry can;t find a link for that. i just remember having read it) so i'm not sure if its normal. don't mean to worry you. good luck.
    macbook pro 2009 MBA 13"2010, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • Hawk9858 Calculating status...
    Nov 14, 2010 5:14 PM (in response to Hobokendippy)
    2010 Air?

I have a new 13" and I'm hearing the same "clicking" sound, even as I type this. At first I thought it was only happening when I was closing a window in Safari, but it happens fairly frequently every couple of minutes or so and always from the same place; top left of the keyboard.
    MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • Brian Caslis Level 3 Level 3 (795 points)
    Nov 14, 2010 8:52 PM (in response to Hobokendippy)
    I'm not sure about a clicking sound, but the fan is alway on. It's normal running at 2000rpm and would be silent unless you are in a very quiet room and your head is near the computer.
    11" Ultimate MBA, iMac 24" 2.8GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 3G 64GB
  • clivo360 Calculating status...
    Dec 3, 2010 10:19 PM (in response to Hobokendippy)
    I just got the 13' air a few days ago and I notice the noise on mine too. I don't know what it can be since it doesn't have a hard drive. Its quite annoying when you're in a silent room.
    Macbook Air 13 inch (late 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • Captain Quantum Calculating status...
    I had a similar problem with my 13" MBA. There are two diagnostics you can run. First is the onboard Apple diagnostics. All you need to do is to shut down your MBA and then boot while holding the D key down. Be very patient! It takes a long time to boot the diagnostic software. Once it is running, select your language and run the shorter of the diagnostic tests. It will still take a long time to run, so be patient!

The other test you could run is to add iStat to your Dashboard widgets. Check the fan RPM. If it is zero, look no further.

The clicking sound is the fan trying to start up (and failing).

I had to take my MBA to the Apple Store (Genius Bar) where they verified the fan failure and replaced my MBA with another unit. Repair would have taken several days.
  • morganhk Calculating status...

just hit the bottom of the computer with your fist, not too gently or too hard. No seriously this works, the fan is hitting something and just tap it and it starts up again and no clicking!!

• ikarles Calculating status...
    Feb 16, 2012 4:38 PM (in response to morganhk)

morganhk wrote:

just hit the bottom of the computer with your fist, not too gently or too hard. No seriously this works, the fan is hitting something and just tap it and it starts up again and no clicking!!

Thanks!  This worked!!!

My relatively new 11" MBA was having this faint clicking sound and iStat Pro reported Exhaust Fan at 0 rpm. The CPU temp got up to 82C!

I applied one moderate upwards slap with the palm of my hand toward the middle of the upper left (warm side) of my MBA and the fan started right up.  It is now working fine!

• tcarrol6 Calculating status...
    Sep 13, 2012 5:33 AM (in response to morganhk)

Just worked on my mba 2010, and I just canceled my $90 rush-ordered fan replacement from ifixit because of this! Thanks so much!!

• Teedus Calculating status...
    Nov 20, 2012 8:56 AM (in response to morganhk)

morganhk wrote:

That was amazing, it worked perfectly! Thank you so much!!

• RonPait Calculating status...
    Jun 4, 2013 12:15 PM (in response to Hobokendippy)

I had the same thing. 

An earlier thread explained it; it's the fan trying to start.  I could see this in my iStatPro where it showed zero RPM.  I tapped my 11-inch MacAir on the underside, just under the "Q" key with a moderate knuckle rap.  I immed heard the fan start up and the iStatPro shows 2000 RPM.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.