Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac very very slow to load web pages

I have a 2009 24" imac, and in the past week sufring on the web is almost unbearable no matter what browser I'm using, theres nothing wrong with my connection as ive an iphone and an ipad and they both work fine.
On certain websites it will not even load the page properly on others it takes forever. Ive unistalled flash and its still the same, any suggestions???

i read somewhere this could be to do with the router but I have no idea what do if it is.

2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo(2009), Mac OS X (10.5.5), 30g ipod video ATV 160g iPhone 4 iPad wifi

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 11:59 AM

14 replies

Dec 18, 2010 4:45 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Yes, to no effect. What's odd is that a few steps I've tried--getting rid of GlimmerBlocker, trying a different browser--works for a few page loads (that is, they seem quick), but then it slows down rapidly to where it's as i was before. It might have been coincidence, of course, but a heckuva coincidence.

Just downloaded TinkerTool and deleted the DNS cache; no help.

Dec 18, 2010 4:49 PM in response to Scott_R

Create a new user account and leave it absolutely pristine. *DO NOT change any settings, add any software or make any change what so ever!* Then log into that account and see if the problem persists. If it does then you know it's a system wide problem related to hardware or software. If it operates normally then you know the issue is software that is localized to the troublesome user account.

Dec 19, 2010 9:16 AM in response to gareth26

Two possibilities.

1. DNS Server (See Sys Prefs -> Network). A slow Domain Name System Server will cause slow surfing as it takes a longer time to find the website. You could try using a fast "public dns".

2. The 3rd-party crap (ads, commenting system, activity tracking, etc.) that need to load. Look in the status bar of your browser and see how many (lots of sites) load stuff from other websites. I don't know of a solution to this.

Dec 19, 2010 9:27 AM in response to Community User

I agree on resetting the DNS settings. Here is an article from MacWorld that explains the issue and I've provided instruction on how to change the setting below.

_Changing DNS Settings_

1. System preferences
2. Network
3. Click Advanced
4. Click DNS tab
5. Click + sign
6. Add 208.67.222.222
7. Click + sign
8. Add 208.67.220.220
9. Click OK.
10. Exit System Preferences
11. Try out your iMac and report what happened.

Roger

imac very very slow to load web pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.