3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2010 11:31 AM by whatheck
Rick Anderson Level 2 Level 2 (165 points)
Long set-up, with question at the end.

Today my employer (who supplies my iPhone) had to swap the SIM card in my phone. After it was done, any voicemails past 30 days disappeared (I had quite a few so it was immediately noticeable.) I can no longer see them in visual voicemail. I called AT&T and asked why that happened and how I could retrieve them, but they insisted that all messages past 30 days are deleted from their servers. I told them that I know for a fact that I had been able to listen to messages older than 30 days and they said there was nothing they could do.

I've since done some research and found that messages are downloaded and stored on the phone which explains why I was able to listen to older ones. What I'm assuming has happened is that when I swapped the SIM card, the iPhone checked in with AT&T voicemail server and refreshed its list of voicemails (dropping any past 30 days.)

So here's my question: do those old voicemails still exist somewhere on the iPhone and if so, how can I retrieve them? I had a few that were very important and I need to retain access to them. If they still exist on the phone, I'd appreciate any ideas about how to get at them.

Mac OS X (10.5.1)
  • whatheck Level 5 Level 5 (4,070 points)
    AT&T may have reset voicemail for your account when they swapped the SIM.

Try tapping phone> keypad> hold the #1 key. Do you hear the voicemails in standard voicemail?
    If not, they aren't on the AT&T voicemail server anymore.
    If you do, you may just have to reset the voicemail password.

Ecamm does make software called PhoneView that will let you browse and save voicemails that are on the iPhone. You can try browsing the iPhone with it and even restoring from backup and then browsing with PhoneView.
  • Rick Anderson Level 2 Level 2 (165 points)
    Thanks. PhoneView gets me in to the voicemail list but the missing ones are still missing. Looks like I'm out of luck.

It would really be nice if when the SIM card is changed, the iPhone would prompt the user before deleting a batch of voicemail like that. I'm really disappointed by this. Better yet, it would be nice if Visual Voicemail had an email-like interface, perhaps with "saved" folders and whatnot for permanent archiving.

I'll give the restore from backup a shot but I'm not hopeful. I manage most of my Phone syncing manually, and if I'm not mistaken, that means most of my stuff won't be backed up. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

Again, thanks for the help.
  • whatheck Level 5 Level 5 (4,070 points)
    No biggie.

AT&T generally gives a warning before they do anything with voicemails, but that does sound like a good idea. You can leave feedback/feature requests here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/.