Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Number Pad not pairing with iMac

After researching for a number pad for my iMac (OS X version 10.6.4), I decided to get a Microsoft Wireless Number Pad because of the many positive reviews from Mac users. I attempted to connect the device today: 1) Turned on number pad 2)Mac software came on and recognized "Microsoft BlueTooth Number Pad" 3) A passkey was generated, but I did not get a chance to enter it 4) "The pairing attempt was unsuccessful" I tried this several times with the same result. The specs on the box indicate that the number pad will be compatible with Mac OS X version 10.4-10.5x. Any help would be much appreciated .

iMac, 27 inch screen, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Wireless mouse and keyboard

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 5:23 PM

6 replies

Nov 11, 2010 2:29 PM in response to Hawk Eye 46

I just bought a Microsoft wireless 6000 bluetooth keyboard set today for my iMac that also came with a separate number pad. I paired the keyboard first, no problem. I did have to press the bluetooth button on the bottom of the keyboard though to get it into pairing mode and then it accepted the numeric passkey.

Once that was done I did the number pad. Same thing... it identified the number pad immediately but I did press the button on the bottom of the number pad and then entered the numbers and hit "enter". Only weird thing is that it wanted to identify the type of keyboard when I connected the number pad. It was asking me to press the key to side of the left shift key and then the key to the side of the right shift key. Hmmm....

I figured since it was part really of a regular keyboard I just entered those keys on the regular keyboard and that worked! Number pad is working as it should. If you are still having issues, try removing the entry in the bluetooth settings for the number pad and going through the process again after you press the bluetooth button on the bottom of your number pad. Good Luck!

P.S. I know this is dumb question but just checking, you were entering the numbers requested on the actual Numeric keypad you were trying to connect (I hope)? Not on your main keyboard?

James

Nov 11, 2010 7:18 PM in response to joudbren

James-Thanks for the post-as of 5 minutes ago, I am PAIRED! I realized as I read your message that I had been waiting for an entry field to appear to put the pass key into rather than just typing it in when asked. I had tested the number pad by pairing it with my Windows netbook and it gave me a field for the pass key (and paired with no problems). And yes, I did enter the pass key on the number pad. Thanks for the tips. One weird thing now is that the green (and sometimes red) light on the number pad is not lighting up. Does yours show green when it is on?

Nov 12, 2010 7:14 AM in response to Hawk Eye 46

Nope, mine doesn't light up either when connected. Works fine though and glad you got it working! I'm really liking the 6000 bluetooth keyboard but it has a nasty habit of going to sleep every few minutes if you're not using it and you have to wait a few seconds for it to come alive again. I haven't been using the number pad yet but I expect it would have the same behaviour. It's pretty annoying and really detracts from what so far is a great little keyboard. Cheers!

James

Nov 14, 2010 5:36 AM in response to Hawk Eye 46

Mac have never been 'find my device' friendly for as long as I can remember. Over the years I have had an assortment of bluetooth devices, and on each and every one of them, it has taken forever for the computer to connect to them. Just today, I have the same issue with the magic trackpad. One should be able to simply turn it on and the computer detects it and voila, start using it. At the least convenient, one should need to find the device in bluetooth and connect to it, and have it connect. This morning it took attempt after attempt for nearly 10 minutes for me to have a brand new mbpro find and connect to the device. Turned it off. Turned it back on. Frustrating as ****.

Microsoft Number Pad not pairing with iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.