Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote app and Vista firewall issues

Hi All
I have searched through the forums for a satisfactory solution, but without success. I have followed and tried the suggestions from the FAQ sections and Apple support documents without success. Several people are or have experienced the same problem but no satisfactory solution (that I can find) has been offered.

I have iPod Touch 4 gen latest with os 4
Vista latest update, on Toshiba laptop
trying to use Remote app to control ITunes (most recent version)

If I turn the firewall off, Remote app works flawlessly
When firewall turned on, Ipod Touch connects with ITunes but cannot find the Library
iTunes is listed as an exception in Firewall but when you check the box, it does not stay checked as an exception and will not let Remote find the Library

Have gone through all the firewall suggestions
have reinstalled iTunes and Bonjour
nothing I do seems to keep the iTunes checked in the Firewall settings

Can anyone point me to the answer to this problem?????

Toshiba S3000, Windows Vista

Posted on Nov 11, 2010 11:08 AM

14 replies

Nov 15, 2010 5:07 PM in response to lllaass

Yes I have. But when you check the iTunes box to be an exception - it does not save the setting. It appears to save it - but when you go to change settings again - you will find the iTunes box "unchecked" again. This issue came up in the last 30 days - I have been using my Apple TV with iTunes successfully for 3 years. The only change to the system I can think of was an iTunes update about 30 days ago. But of course Microsoft updates come in all the time.

Nov 15, 2010 7:11 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks for your reply lllaaas, yes I have tried all the so-called Apple solutions with no luck just as LarryDibble has experienced. For whatever reason, the Vista firewall cannot be reset to hold the Itunes Exception. I have tried both Microsoft and Apple troubleshooting and FAQ's with no luck whatsoever...

Nov 17, 2010 6:14 PM in response to maxjan

I'm having this same problem trying to use home sharing between iTunes on my mac and on a Vista machine. It worked a while ago but recently stopped working. The Vista machine can share with the mac but when I try to connect to the Vista iTunes from the mac side it just times out. iTunes is not checked as an exception in Vista but when I check it it just reverts back to unchecked when I open the window again. The same thing happens when I try to turn the firewall off entirely. I have reviewed the information on the Apple website on how to make iTunes an exception to the Vista firewall but this seems useless.

Nov 17, 2010 7:04 PM in response to btcrane

I have not been able to determine if this is an Apple ITunes problem or a Microsoft Vista firewall problem. Clearly if the firewall is disabled, Remote works extremely well. Once the firewall is enabled it stops working.
This leads me to believe that it may be a Microsoft problem, How do we get Apple and Microsoft programmers to work together at trying to resolve the problem??
Very difficult to do if both are pointing fingers at each other.....
Any words of wisdom from the Forum gurus?????

Dec 30, 2010 10:52 AM in response to maxjan

Try it

Go in administration tools and select sommeting like that "windows firewall advanced fonctions" (I am in french).
In left window, select incomming tafic.
In center windows, select itunes rules (one by one) and erase it with "delete" in right windows.
After you erased all itunes rules, close "windows firewall advanced fonctions".
Go configuration pannel and start "windows firewall".
Return in exceptions tabs, itunes is desapeared.
select add program and add itunes

Oct 13, 2011 4:33 PM in response to maxjan

I had the same problem, I wasn't able to either check or remove the itunes firewall exception. Which lead to the unability to connect with Remote. Which was strange because after i installed iOS5 and updated to itunes10 my phone could wirelessly sync with my PC, but the remote still wouldnt work.

After trying the suggested methods with no results, I just uninstalled iTunes from the control panel, then dowloaded and installed again. Remote worked fine upon reinstall. iTunes is now checked under firewall exceptions and deleteable aswell.

Remote app and Vista firewall issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.