Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime security risk?

This morning I tried to update my setting for this forum to reflect the update to 10.6.5. To my surprise I was unable to save the new settings and got an error concerning a missing email address. Somehow my Apple account got messed up. The only recent access to my account was by FaceTime when I added a second email address to be able to run it on two computers. This seems to have erased the primary email field on my account. I was able to reenter it, but should a (communication) application wield so much power? There is some sensitive information in there. Is there a real security risk here, or am I just a bit paranoid?

Mac Pro (1,1) 4 x 2.66GHz 12GB HD4870, Macbook Pro 15" 2.8Ghz 4GB, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 11, 2010 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2010 2:40 PM

MacRicco wrote:
This morning I tried to update my setting for this forum to reflect the update to 10.6.5. To my surprise I was unable to save the new settings and got an error concerning a missing email address. Somehow my Apple account got messed up. The only recent access to my account was by FaceTime when I added a second email address to be able to run it on two computers. This seems to have erased the primary email field on my account. I was able to reenter it, but should a (communication) application wield so much power? There is some sensitive information in there. Is there a real security risk here, or am I just a bit paranoid?

(1) There is no requirement to use one iD for every purpose. In fact, if you are very paranoid, you might choose, to use different iD's for Discussions, the Store, iTunes, FaceTime on your desktop, FaceTime on your portable Mac, etc. You can use as many or as few as you want.

However, some iDs may have unique requirements. For example, the iD you use to activate FaceTime on Mac or iPod touch must be a working email address. Therefore, those FaceTime users whose existing iD is not a working email address will be forced to create a new iD if they want to activate FaceTime for their Macs or iPods touch.

You already found a way to change your iD when necessary.

Users who use more than one iDs can manage their iDs at https://appleid.apple.com/

(2) If you still have concerns, you can send feedback directly to Apple by either the:

  • FaceTime >Provide FaceTime Feedback... menu item

    - or -

  • http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

You will not get a response, but you can be certain that the responsible Apple
people will see your input for consideration in FaceTime product development.

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Mac OS X (10.6.5); MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2009) 2.26GHz (10.6.5)
LED Cinema Display; G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11); iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9); External iSight; iPod touch 4.1
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2010 2:40 PM in response to MacRicco

MacRicco wrote:

(1) There is no requirement to use one iD for every purpose. In fact, if you are very paranoid, you might choose, to use different iD's for Discussions, the Store, iTunes, FaceTime on your desktop, FaceTime on your portable Mac, etc. You can use as many or as few as you want.

However, some iDs may have unique requirements. For example, the iD you use to activate FaceTime on Mac or iPod touch must be a working email address. Therefore, those FaceTime users whose existing iD is not a working email address will be forced to create a new iD if they want to activate FaceTime for their Macs or iPods touch.

You already found a way to change your iD when necessary.

Users who use more than one iDs can manage their iDs at https://appleid.apple.com/

(2) If you still have concerns, you can send feedback directly to Apple by either the:

  • FaceTime >Provide FaceTime Feedback... menu item

    - or -

  • http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

You will not get a response, but you can be certain that the responsible Apple
people will see your input for consideration in FaceTime product development.

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Mac OS X (10.6.5); MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2009) 2.26GHz (10.6.5)
LED Cinema Display; G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11); iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9); External iSight; iPod touch 4.1

Nov 13, 2010 6:12 AM in response to EZ Jim

I will make some separate iD's for facetime, at least for as long as it is in beta. No shortage of working email addresses on my own domain.

A new iD for these discussions seems not to be an option as I can not find a way to migrate my existing profile to a different iD. Don't like to start over as a complete newbie.

Nov 13, 2010 8:10 AM in response to MacRicco

MacRicco wrote:
I will make some separate iD's for facetime, at least for as long as it is in beta. No shortage of working email addresses on my own domain.

A new iD for these discussions seems not to be an option as I can not find a way to migrate my existing profile to a different iD. Don't like to start over as a complete newbie.

Good plan!

We will watch for your status update.

Thanks for the star. It is helps to know when my suggestions are helpful!

Cheers,
Jim

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

FaceTime security risk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.