Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limited access to server for modifying accounts?

The person in charge of my Mac network at school wants to give me access to be able to change passwords for students on the server when they get locked out.

Anyway, he claims to know what to do but can't figure out how to do it. Is there a way to give me limited server access that allows me to change student passwords or add and delete accounts?

Thanks!

20" Aluminum iMac, g4 ibook, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 10:43 AM

4 replies

Nov 12, 2010 11:30 AM in response to donny

There are many approaches to this one, depending on whether you're looking for a GUI or a command-line option.

If command-line then the easiest path would be to enable sudo access for your account:

donny ALL = /usr/bin/passwd [A-z]*, !/usr/bin/passwd root

Adding the above line to /etc/sudoers will allow the user 'donny' to change the password for any user except root.

Nov 12, 2010 11:38 AM in response to Camelot

Thanks for the response. Will that allow me access to the program on the server to change passwords for users and add/modify users? How would this work exactly? Do we enter that command line on the server or each individual machine?

Sorry, I am not familiar with servers. I know macs, but not the server stuff.

Thanks.

Nov 12, 2010 11:47 AM in response to donny

I think I found what I was looking for:

To add limited administrative capabilities:
1 In Workgroup Manager, click Accounts.
2 Select the user account you want to work with.
To select an account, click the globe icon above the accounts list, choose the directory
domain where the user’s account resides, and then select the user.
3 To authenticate, click the lock and enter the name and password of a directory
administrator.
4 In Privileges, choose Limited from the “Administration capabilities” pop-up menu.
5 To control the level of user or group administration, click the Add ➕ button and drag
users and groups from the drawer to the “User can administer” list.
6 Select a user or group from the “User can administer” list and then select the
administration capabilities you want the limited administrator to have.
To give administrative control to all users and groups, select “All Users and Groups” and
then select administrative capabilities.
7 Click Save.

Now I just need to be able to open the workgroup manager from a Mac in the classroom after he does the above, right?

Limited access to server for modifying accounts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.