Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 10.1 for Mac breaks firewall?

I just upgraded to iTunes 10.1 this morning and something interesting has happened. Now, every time the application starts up, a window appears saying

"Do you want the application "iTunes.app" to accept incoming network connections?"

Well, I do. I checked the firewall and it's already allowing incoming connections. No matter how many times I toggle this on and off, every time I restart the application, it still asks me.

Unfortunately, I cannot delete an entry in the firewall area, so I'm wondering how I can do this. Wipe out the entires in the firewall area to "restart" fresh so when I click a box, it won't repeatedly ask me again.

Thanks!

Mac Pro 8-Core; 16GB, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iTunes 10.1

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 11:55 AM

45 replies

Nov 12, 2010 1:54 PM in response to R. Yannetta

The only way I have permanently resolved this is by doing the following:

First, download the iTunes 10.1 installer instead of using Software Update. That way you have it for easy reinstalls later.

• Delete the iTunes app from the Applications folder
• Move the com.apple.alf.plist file out of /Library/Preferences (NOTE: This is the Library folder at the top level of your Macs’ HD, not the Library folder inside your Home folder.)
• Reboot the Mac
• Reinstall iTunes 10.1
• Open System Preferences and select Security
• Click the Firewall tab and click the “Start” button
• Click the “Advanced…” button and ensure that “Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections” is CHECKED.
• Click OK and close System Preferences
• Launch iTunes
• It should not ask again to Allow Incoming Connections. But if it does it should only ask once and never again.
• Bear in mind that other apps that must go through the firewall will ask once again to Allow Incoming Connections. But they should only ask once and never again.

Let us know if this resolves the issue for you. Cheers!

Nov 12, 2010 2:22 PM in response to Glenn Carter

Glenn Carter wrote:
The only way I have permanently resolved this is by doing the following:

First, download the iTunes 10.1 installer instead of using Software Update. That way you have it for easy reinstalls later.

• Delete the iTunes app from the Applications folder
• Move the com.apple.alf.plist file out of /Library/Preferences (NOTE: This is the Library folder at the top level of your Macs’ HD, not the Library folder inside your Home folder.)
• Reboot the Mac
• Reinstall iTunes 10.1
• Open System Preferences and select Security
• Click the Firewall tab and click the “Start” button
• Click the “Advanced…” button and ensure that “Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections” is CHECKED.
• Click OK and close System Preferences
• Launch iTunes
• It should not ask again to Allow Incoming Connections. But if it does it should only ask once and never again.
• Bear in mind that other apps that must go through the firewall will ask once again to Allow Incoming Connections. But they should only ask once and never again.

Let us know if this resolves the issue for you. Cheers!

This seems to have fixed the iTunes problem for me for the time being, but it's still happening with iPhoto '11. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall iPhoto also? I'm a bit nervous about doing that.

Nov 12, 2010 2:31 PM in response to medgirl

medgirl wrote:
...but it's still happening with iPhoto '11. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall iPhoto also? I'm a bit nervous about doing that.

You mean iPhoto is also asking whether you want to Allow Incoming Connections? I have never seen that before. But then, I have not yet installed iLife `11 so perhaps the new iPhoto needs a connection to the internet.

Nov 12, 2010 2:34 PM in response to Glenn Carter

Glenn Carter wrote:
medgirl wrote:
...but it's still happening with iPhoto '11. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall iPhoto also? I'm a bit nervous about doing that.

You mean iPhoto is also asking whether you want to Allow Incoming Connections? I have never seen that before. But then, I have not yet installed iLife `11 so perhaps the new iPhoto needs a connection to the internet.

Yes, it's exactly the same situation. I have iLife '11 and can't remember if it started from when I first installed it or maybe only after the more recent update. It's annoying, but I don't use iPhoto nearly as frequently as I do iTunes, so I have been ignoring it. But with iTunes it's just a mess! I would have to turn the firewall off if it kept up. Actually, I'm not sure how necessary the firewall is if you have firewall protection with your router. Does anyone know? (I have an AirPort Extreme). Thankfully, though, your iTunes fix is working for me so far.

Nov 12, 2010 2:38 PM in response to medgirl

Hmm. Looks like the fix with iPhoto involves turning off picture sharing. Sorry to go off topic, but it's strange to me that both of these issues popped up in such close proximity and seem to be the same thing - the firewall isn't remembering that these apps should be let through no matter how many times it asks. And actually, usually it shouldn't have to ask about these programs if you've checked the box to allow signed apps through.

Nov 12, 2010 2:43 PM in response to medgirl

Interesting. Well, if you reinstall iPhoto `11 in the correct order, it shouldn't hurt.

Before you begin download the iPhoto 9.1 update from Apple's site:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1322

Next:

• Drag iPhoto from your Apps folder to the Trash (but don't empty it just yet).
• Reinstall iPhoto from the iLife `11 disc.
• DON"T launch iPhoto yet!
• Next, install the iPhoto 9.1 Update.
• Now launch iPhoto and allow it to import your photo library

NOTE: iPhoto may ask once more to allow incoming connections. Click "Allow". It should not ask again.

Let us know how it goes. Cheers!

iTunes 10.1 for Mac breaks firewall?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.