Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Numbers merge columns?

I'm hesitating on the upgrade pricing to Office 2011 and hear Outlook is a disaster. I was waiting for Excel 2011 to get Macros back, but I'm wondering if I can do what I need to do in Numbers instead.
My main Macro that I use is merging columns not cells. IOW, a1 merges with b1, a2 with b2, etc., but not a1 with a2 and b2 and b1.
If there is no macro for this, is there an automator that would do that?
Thanks

2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core, Mac OS X (10.6.5), ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, 6 gigs RAM

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 12:56 PM

I think not. You can merge two side-by-side cells but you can't merge two columns. If you try to merge two columns, they will merge into one cell. You may be able to do what you want in several steps:

1) Create a new column C =A&" "&B
2) Select and copy the new column
3) Paste values to A
4) Delete columns B and C

I'm sure an AppleScript could be written to merge the two columns, but there are no automator actions to do it.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2010 12:56 PM in response to Jefferis Peterson

I think not. You can merge two side-by-side cells but you can't merge two columns. If you try to merge two columns, they will merge into one cell. You may be able to do what you want in several steps:

1) Create a new column C =A&" "&B
2) Select and copy the new column
3) Paste values to A
4) Delete columns B and C

I'm sure an AppleScript could be written to merge the two columns, but there are no automator actions to do it.

Nov 12, 2010 1:10 PM in response to Jefferis Peterson

Jefferis Peterson wrote:
I'm hesitating on the upgrade pricing to Office 2011 and hear Outlook is a disaster. I was waiting for Excel 2011 to get Macros back, but I'm wondering if I can do what I need to do in Numbers instead.
My main Macro that I use is merging columns not cells. IOW, a1 merges with b1, a2 with b2, etc., but not a1 with a2 and b2 and b1.
If there is no macro for this, is there an automator that would do that?
Thanks

Hi Jefferis,

Do you want to merge columns, or to merge the content of the cells in those columns?

Numbers can merge the content of the cells into a third cell using CONCATENATE (or the & operator), after which the original column pair may be deleted.

Numbers can merge adjacent cells into a single cell. The content of the two cells (data, or value calculated by a formula) is treated as a pair of text values, separated by a tab character.

Numbers does not support Macros, but may be scripted using AppleScript.

Numbers also supports Automator actions.

Whether either AppleScript or Automator could be used for this is outside my ken, but doesn't appear to be an insurmountable issue.

It's clear from your description that the desired result is that the cells on each row of the columns be merged while retaining the separation between rows. A clearer description of the result you want in each of those rows (ie. what the newly merged cell will contain) might help whoever takes on the task of buildiing a script or Automator action.

Regards,
Barry

Nov 12, 2010 4:39 PM in response to Jefferis Peterson

Jefferis Peterson wrote:
NOt sure I understand the code here or what you are doing. Is step 1 a formula of some sort?

Yes.
Step 1 in Badunit's first post is a formula (=A&" "&B) that concatenates the contents of the cell in column A, a single space character, and the contents of column B.

For your sample data, "image/" in column A and "123.jpg" in column B, the result would be "image/ 123.jpg" in the column containing the formula. The letter -only cell reference refers to the cell in the same row as the formula.

Badunit's second version of the formula (=A&B) eliminates the space between the two values. Result: "image/123.jpg"

If ALL of the cells in A contain "image/", you can simplify the process slightly.

In A replace the value "image/" with the formula ="image/"&B.
Copy the resulting values in A, then
Edit > Paste Values (still in A)
Delete column B.

Regards,
Barry

Can Numbers merge columns?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.