Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movie subtitles ?

The iTunes store finally has movies in my country (Switzerland), but I am very disappointed to see that nearly all movies are dubbed. Is there any option to have the original version plus subtitles (in English or e.g. French) ?

I am ready to pay for films, but the quality of service should at least be as good as what one can find on non-legal sites...

iMac alu 2.0 GHz 20" screen, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 4 iOS 4.1

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 1:44 PM

12 replies

Nov 19, 2010 11:05 AM in response to Pascal_Sartoretti

Hi Pascal, thanks for posting this topic. I'm also in Switzerland, and I would also pay money to Apple and the content owners if they could just achieve a near approximation of what can be found for free elsewhere.

Some of the comments on the tread are well out of line. "Apple doesn't own the content."

So???? So what? Why the reflex defense of Apple? It is weird.

It took ten years for Apple to be able to sell films in Switzerland. And they still can't do it properly.

Yes, that says incredible things about the utter corruption of the "Free trade" principles in Europe. And it speaks volumes about what a technological backwater Switzerland is because of cartels.

But it also says Apple have failed, as well.

No subtitles is inexcusable. It just means the people negotiating and delivering on the project were second rate folks who are not very good at their jobs.

What happened to universal access? How many close captioned films are available on itunes? In Switzerland, the answer in ZERO. Even elsewhere the number is pitifully small.

And yet, Steve Jobs demoed that feature specifically in his stage presentation many years ago.

And yet, on the free internet these things get done FOR FREE as a matter of course.

Stop making excuses for Apple. In my experience, the quality of Apple employees and service has deteriorated markedly over the past decade. And I have a lot of experience working with this company.

Nov 19, 2010 12:04 PM in response to cynik

We're not defending Apple, we're explaining the situation.

The movie owners have absolute say over distribution. If they say, "Switzerland only gets dubbed movies but Austria gets subtitled" then Apple cannot tell them they, Apple, are going to distribute a subtitled version. Apple may not even have anything other than a dubbed version.

Solution: Don't buy dubbed movies (which you have to realise means you'll probably miss a lot of movies). Write the movie owners and Apple about this (feedback link above) and tell them you aren't buying. It's the content owners who are ultimately responsible for what they allow Apple to sell, but if Apple hears from enough of you then maybe they will also go to the movie owners and say, "Nobody in Switzerland is buying your dubbed movies, we're both losing money here."

Dec 27, 2010 7:10 AM in response to Limnos

All the material supplied by contents providers nearly always do have subtitles already from TV and DVD broadcasts.

That these content providers are unable to supply this from iTunes 99% of the time, suggests that Apple's *own system* is the blocking point and they need to address this pretty soon or lose their market position.

There are nearly 5 million hits on Google about Apple's failure to provide this so the demand is clearly there. I hope they dont ignore it.

Feb 15, 2011 10:38 PM in response to Community User

Oh, it's irrelevant any way. From Bitfield's support site for Submerge:

How can I add subtitles to a movie purchased or rented in the iTunes Store?

The short answer is, you can't. Apple has protected their movies with a DRM system called FairPlay. As a third party developer you have no access to those frameworks.

This discriminates badly against hearing-disabled people such as myself. Even if it's legal, it's bad form on Apple's part. The vast majority of movies in the iTunes store are available on DVD with Subtitles; I can watch TV eps. on my local TV Channels' websites and enable/disable subtitles. The technology exists. Apple has taken the trouble to enable it, and, for me, this means the iTunes store truly *****.

Steve = : ^ (

Movie subtitles ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.