Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon MG6150 installer doesn't seem to install the printer driver

New Canon MG6150 purchased - made a point of checking 10.6 compatibility prior to purchase.

Set up on WiFi. Run installation software, printer is detected OK.

Problem comes at the point where you 'register printer' and the add printer dialog pops up; the manual shows 'print using' Canon MG6100 series, but mine shows 'generic postscript' with no option to change this to the proper Canon driver.

It's as though the Canon installer didn't properly install or register the driver files. The scanner side works fine, so the connection is OK.

I have tried re-installing both custom and easy-install to no avail.

I see other problems with the 8150 on here. Is there a problem with Canon's installer.

Intel iMac, iMac G4, Powerbook G4, iPhone 3G, Apple TV, 3G iPod, 2G Shuffle, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 10:45 PM

idfitter wrote:
Problem comes at the point where you 'register printer' and the add printer dialog pops up; the manual shows 'print using' Canon MG6100 series, but mine shows 'generic postscript' with no option to change this to the proper Canon driver.

When you select to add the networked printer you use the Default Add Printer view. With this selected you will see the MG6150 as a scanner, shown as Bonjour Scanner, and after a short period of time another MG6150 will appear, with is network address as part of the name and the Kind column showing 'canonijnetwork'. When you select this printer name the Print Using menu should automatically change to the 'Canon MG6100 series', as the manual states, providing the driver is installed. It normally would not default to Generic Postscript - if the driver is not found on the Mac the normal operation would be for the Mac to check for a driver via Software Update.

It's as though the Canon installer didn't properly install or register the driver files. The scanner side works fine, so the connection is OK.

The driver files are stored in HD > Library > Printers > Canon > BJPrinters. What you could also do to check if the driver has installed is when it does show Generic Postscript, change the drop menu to 'Select Printer Software' and then type MG6100 in the search window. The model should appear in the list. If it does not appear then possibly the driver install has not worked, although I would bet it has and something else is happening.

I see other problems with the 8150 on here. Is there a problem with Canon's installer.

I don't believe so. There has only been a couple on this forum and they were all user operational errors.
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2010 10:45 PM in response to idfitter

idfitter wrote:

When you select to add the networked printer you use the Default Add Printer view. With this selected you will see the MG6150 as a scanner, shown as Bonjour Scanner, and after a short period of time another MG6150 will appear, with is network address as part of the name and the Kind column showing 'canonijnetwork'. When you select this printer name the Print Using menu should automatically change to the 'Canon MG6100 series', as the manual states, providing the driver is installed. It normally would not default to Generic Postscript - if the driver is not found on the Mac the normal operation would be for the Mac to check for a driver via Software Update.

The driver files are stored in HD > Library > Printers > Canon > BJPrinters. What you could also do to check if the driver has installed is when it does show Generic Postscript, change the drop menu to 'Select Printer Software' and then type MG6100 in the search window. The model should appear in the list. If it does not appear then possibly the driver install has not worked, although I would bet it has and something else is happening.

I don't believe so. There has only been a couple on this forum and they were all user operational errors.

Nov 12, 2010 11:33 PM in response to PAHU

PAHU thanks for the reply.
PAHU wrote:
When you select to add the networked printer you use the Default Add Printer view. With this selected you will see the MG6150 as a scanner, shown as Bonjour Scanner, and after a short period of time another MG6150 will appear, with is network address as part of the name and the Kind column showing 'canonijnetwork'.

Interestingly, when I first tried the installation, the scanner did not appear, but I decided to wait and on my system the printer with 'canonijnetwork' appeared first and the scanner afterwards.
When you select this printer name the Print Using menu should automatically change to the 'Canon MG6100 series', as the manual states, providing the driver is installed.

Now this is odd. If I select the 'canonijnetwork' entry I only get the option of 'generic postscript' but if I select the scanner, it says print using 'Canon MG6100 Series'
It normally would not default to Generic Postscript - if the driver is not found on the Mac the normal operation would be for the Mac to check for a driver via Software Update.

It doesn't try to, but the only Canon drivers available seem to be the gutenprint ones.
What you could also do to check if the driver has installed is when it does show Generic Postscript, change the drop menu to 'Select Printer Software' and then type MG6100 in the search window. The model should appear in the list. If it does not appear then possibly the driver install has not worked, although I would bet it has and something else is happening.

It does not appear at all in the list. There are files in HD:Library:Printer:Canon:BJPrinters. I don't think they are being registered properly.

I am also trying the installation on a 10.5 system to see how that goes.

I am also going to try an installation when connected via USB, to see if that gets the drivers working and switch to network later.

Nov 13, 2010 12:40 AM in response to idfitter

idfitter wrote:
I am also trying the installation on a 10.5 system to see how that goes.

Installs OK, if a little slowly, on 10.5 system.
I am also going to try an installation when connected via USB, to see if that gets the drivers working and switch to network later.

USB doesn't help - printer is detected but driver still not available in drop-down list

Nov 29, 2010 11:13 AM in response to idfitter

Also i was struggling with the installation of the Canon MG6150 and found the problem!

When you did a clean installation 'Snow Leopard' and did not select any printers because you only want to add yours their are some folders that are missing.

Prior to running the Canon printer driver installation make sure this path is on your system:

'/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources'

I only had to create 'Contents' and 'Resources' (all where empty) and run the installation.
Worked as it should be.

Hope i helped some people running into this OFTB canon driver installation 🙂

-- some details about the error:

PackageKit: Executing script "./postflight" in /Volumes/mg6100sosxcp103620ea8-2/PrinterDriver_MG6100 series_103602.pkg/Contents/Resources
./postflight: tar: could not chdir to '/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources'
./postflight: gzip: /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/CanonIJMG6100series.ppd.gz: No such file or directory

Jan 17, 2011 2:49 PM in response to Rustig

I encountered the same issue with only the scanner installing successfully (the aforementioned subdirs were already present on my system)

This was fixed for me by installing the OSX printer driver (CUPS) from Canon's site on top of the supplied CD:

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0039180.asp?model=

...which (at time of writing) lists: mg6100sosxcp103620ea8-2.dmg

Jan 27, 2011 12:24 AM in response to Rustig

I just wanted to say thanks to the original poster for his perfect description of the same problem I have (had!) which meant that it was the first search result on the page, and the first one I looked at - and to Rustig for your solution which worked perfectly and was also easy to follow.

Up and running again!

Regards,
Jason.

Feb 16, 2012 7:56 AM in response to idfitter

I too had this problem. I could not get the Printer to appear or be recognized during the Add Printer (Default) view. I found that the fix was to install it via the IP view and select LPD as the protocal and select the dirver package located in the directory mentioned above '/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources' which in my case did already exist.

I hope this helps someone else as it took me a month to resolve this issue and was driving me crazy.

Apple, you need to stop your upgrade processes corrupting printer drivers, scanner drivers and simple things like desktop backgrounds. I have been doing a lot of upgrading recently on two different machines and the little "fixes" I have to do afterward are a real time killer.

Canon MG6150 installer doesn't seem to install the printer driver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.