Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Linux on BootCamp?

How do you install Linux on a MacBook on Boot Camp? Also, which distribution is best also?

MacBook Unibody Model A1342, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 2GB RAM Late 2004 Model+

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 7:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 7:37 PM

Go to www. ubuntu.com where you can download the LiveCD ISO. Just partition your hard drive normally then install Linux onto that partition. The Ubuntu system will install a custom bootloader that will allow you to boot either from OS X or Linux.
3 replies

Nov 14, 2010 8:48 AM in response to computertechie

As far as I know you can install any version 32 or 64-bit. I've never installed either the server or 64-bit versions. I have only installed the 32-bit client.

Now all this said I suggest you forget about Boot Camp. Just create your two partitions using Disk Utility. Install the Linux distro on the second partition using the LiveCD (you must boot from the LiveCD, obviously. Download and install rEFIt from CNet Downloads or MacUpdate. This is a specially made bootloader that will automatically let you boot either operating system. There is no geeky configuration required unless you wish to make special modifications to how you will use rEFIt, but I suggest reading the documentation first (it's online, but there's a link in the rEFIt folder.)

If you want to run Windows, too, then create three partitions and install Windows directly onto one of them. Reserve the first partition for OS X.

Before installing any other OS you will need to use its formatting tool to reformat the partition on which you will install it. Linux usually does FAT32. Windows can be NTFS or FAT32.

Linux on BootCamp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.