Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing FLAC files from iTunes to Apple TV - questions and idea

Hello, All. I am a recent Mac convert, and although I love the capability, I do sometimes miss the flexibility.

I collect live music, and have almost 2TB of flac files of various concerts and live performances. I have fallen hard for the convenience of playing files from iTunes through my home theater setup via Apple TV - it's simple and sounds amazing.

However, I don't want to convert my entire library to Apple lossless. For one thing, it would take forever. For another, I would be constantly fighting to keep music encoded at a more portable-friendly bitrate on my iPhone and iPod touch. So, I have a few questions, if I could pick the collective's brain, and an idea.

- Is it possible to add FLAC files to a playlist using an iTunes plugin? Everything I see online suggests 'no', but it's still worth asking, if only to vainly nudge Jobs' Powers That Be toward real FLAC support.

- Is there a straightforward way to stream music from another system on my network? I know, for example, that I can open an internet radio station link in iTunes and stream it to my Apple TV. What if that radio station was actually just my Windows laptop in the same subnet? Then the FLAC problem becomes a non-issue, and although there's some extra hassle, I can keep my live music library neatly separated from my iTunes library.

Many thanks for reading this far. You're one of the good ones, man. In your next life you will return as a dolphin in undiscovered waters.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 12:00 AM

5 replies

Nov 13, 2010 4:48 AM in response to mynamesclarence

You won't be able to do all these things straight 'out of the box' so to speak, but you could look into a piece of software called AirFoil which will enable you to stream audio from applications other than iTunes to your Apple TV. It may even be possible for you to use a third-party FLAC plugin inside iTunes and use AirFoil to send audio from iTunes to the Apple TV (rather than iTunes in-built AirPlay method).

Certainly worth a look. There's a fully functional demo that you can try at http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil

Message was edited by: Easybourne

Nov 13, 2010 5:10 AM in response to mynamesclarence

mynamesclarence wrote:
I have fallen hard for the convenience of playing files from iTunes through my home theater setup via Apple TV - it's simple and sounds amazing.

Not really, since iTunes cannot play the world's #1 lossless format, namely FLAC. As you have noticed in your case, that completely negates the "convenience."

You can get plugins that allow iTunes to play FLAC files. Check out a couple of suggestions here: How to play .flac files in iTunes.

Using those plugins will allow playback, but does not allow syncing to the iPod. To listen to those songs on your iPod, you will have to create separate copies in an iTunes-compatible format, such as AAC. Since iTunes cannot do the conversion from FLAC, you will need a 3rd party conversion program, such as Switch.

- Is it possible to add FLAC files to a playlist using an iTunes plugin? Everything I see online suggests 'no', but it's still worth asking, if only to vainly nudge Jobs' Powers That Be toward real FLAC support.

if you wish to provide a suggestion to Apple, you can use the iTunes Feedback page.

- Is there a straightforward way to stream music from another system on my network? I know, for example, that I can open an internet radio station link in iTunes and stream it to my Apple TV. What if that radio station was actually just my Windows laptop in the same subnet? Then the FLAC problem becomes a non-issue, and although there's some extra hassle, I can keep my live music library neatly separated from my iTunes library.

Why not just use an FLAC-compatible player on your Mac? Virtually every music player can handle FLAC, with the notable exception of iTunes. Many Mac users like VLC.

Nov 13, 2010 10:20 AM in response to ed2345

Using those plugins will allow playback, but does not allow syncing to the iPod. To listen to those songs on your iPod, you will have to create separate copies in an iTunes-compatible format, such as AAC. Since iTunes cannot do the conversion from FLAC, you will need a 3rd party conversion program, such as Switch.

I don't want to sync those files to the iPod, just to get them to the Apple TV via Airplay.

Why not just use an FLAC-compatible player on your Mac? Virtually every music player can handle FLAC, with the notable exception of iTunes. Many Mac users like VLC.

See above - I need a way to get them to Airplay. Otherwise I'd just listen to them on my PC and be done with it. But I think Airfoil may be the best solution.

Playing FLAC files from iTunes to Apple TV - questions and idea

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.