Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shooting Tethered AND saving images to camera memory card?

While Tethered In Aperture 3 is there any way to leave/see the image on the camera memory card?

I review images while shooting as a client watches the images import into the computer.

This IS possible in Canon's EOS Utility but I do not see the corresponding preference in Aperture. Something like: "leave image on card during import."

Any thoughts? Thanks -- j

Canon 5D Mkii -- Aperture 3.1 -- Macbook Pro

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 2.66 ghz i7 8gb ram

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 12:42 PM

11 replies

Nov 23, 2010 3:10 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

I have shot many times tethered (D700 with Ap 2 and perhaps earlier versions of A3. I recent got my camera repaired and they upgraded the firmware to version 1.0.2. Until very recently, the pictures were stored on both my CF card and were transfered to the computer. Now, I transfer to the computer but they are not simultaneously stored on the CF card as they once were.

Any suggestions??

Nov 23, 2010 6:50 PM in response to jk in nyc

I saw Hasselblad's solution for tethered shooting, Phocus software, demonstrated the other day

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/promotions/phocus-25.aspx

Very nice, really, very nice. This works with most DLSR's, and the new version being released allows for wireless sharing of the images on an iPad, allowing the client to sit to one side with the art director reviewing images in their own time.

This is s piece of software designed for shooting tethered and behaves like it.

Nice thing about it, it is free, just have to create a login.

Tony

Nov 24, 2010 12:38 AM in response to jk in nyc

@e2photo -- yeah, I can't believe this functionality has disappeared. On the Apple/Canon side, it could be that the software cannot distinguish between importing all the images on the card vs. tethered and importing just one image at a time. I don't know.

@TonyGay -- thanks for the tip. I'll look into that software.

Also, I posted this on another discussion forum on flickr, and someone there swears he can get this to work, but I haven't been able to do so. He suggests looking at the preferences of the Camera's proprietary software (Canon EOS Utility). There is a check box for "leave image on card" but it does not make a difference in my situation. Knowing the finicky nature of all these connections, it may be that I have to do things in a specific order, i.e. plug in camera, turn on power, set preference, or vice versa. I'm still trying.

Cheers for the help -- jameel

Nov 24, 2010 9:51 AM in response to jk in nyc

On my Nikon D3, and previously on my D700 and D300, as long as I had a memory card in the camera, the files would write to the card [DSC_0001] and Aperture would get a copy on my Macbook Pro [DSC_0001(2)]. I am not sure if this is the case on Canon cameras. On older Nikon cameras, there is also a USB "type" where you can choose the USB protocol the camera uses. In the past, one of the modes worked with tethering and the other didn't. My D3 no longer has that USB option but check and see if you can change USB modes in your camera.

I don't believe you can have the image pop up on the back of your screen while tethering. Can you do that in your EOS Utility? Your best bet might be to hook up a monitor for your client and use the mac for yourself.

Nov 27, 2010 4:55 AM in response to jk in nyc

Hey Tony -- I downloaded the Phocus software. It looks interesting, but it looks like tethering only works with the Hasselblad cameras, not my Canon 5D mkII. You suggest otherwise in your post. Am I missing something?

I do see that you can review CR2 files as well as Tiffs jpgs etc., but that would put me back using EOS Utility as the import application and then using Phocus to review. This is similar to my current Aperture Hot Folder setup, so no real improvement.

Or maybe I'm not getting it. When you have a chance, let me know. Cheers -- jameel

Nov 28, 2010 4:41 AM in response to jk in nyc

There is also Phase One's Capture One, I think the demo version will shoot tethered, but not process the files. Which you can do in Aperture. Most pro's I know shoot with Capture One, since it was one of the first packages (besides Canon software) to shoot tethered, and its really powerful tethered capture software. It DEFINITELY works with 5D mark 2, because its what I use on photoshoots...

Shooting Tethered AND saving images to camera memory card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.