Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"System extension cannot be used"?

Often when I am upgrading my software via the "Software Update..." menu option,
such as the recent ITunes update, I get the following error message:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
^ System extension cannot be used
/!\ The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/CDSAudioCaptureSupport.kext
--- was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact
the product's vendor for an update.
________________________________________________________________________________ __________

Any idea what this means and how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance

Mac Book Pro 17" (March 2009 Version), Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 4:11 PM

3 replies

Nov 20, 2010 11:36 AM in response to MJY

I have a similar problem, and it's related to roxio's cd spin doctor. and i can't get cd spin doctor to work, despite many e-mails back and forth with roxio support - they keep telling me to try different things, like reinstalling the software (it doesn't install properly because of this cdsaudiocapturesupport.kext, no matter how many times i try) and repairing permissions (also didn't help). even downloading their "update" for toast doesn't help - the download gives a warning that there's a problem with the file. my suspicion is that roxio doesn't really support snow leopard and are just selling software anyway, hoping that customers will get fed up and not be too upset about spending money on non-working software. and all of these threads that suggest the fix is a simple as running the Installl Audio Capture Support on cdspindoctor are useless - this doesn't work either.

To eliminate the error when updating other applications, you have to delete this file from your mac hard drive>system>library>extensions, but forget about ever using the roxio software.

"System extension cannot be used"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.