8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2010 10:07 PM by Donot Haveone
Donot Haveone Level 1 (15 points)
I frequently get a little thing popping up on my screen, saying Apple Mobile Sync wants access to my several e-mail account passwords.

I have never used and am not likely ever to use MobileMe. I do use an iPhone.

Does Apple Mobile Sync participate in keeping my iPhone and Mail accounts synced, such that I should be giving it access to those keychains? Or is it a MobileMe-only, otherwise-useless appendage?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 (103,365 points)
    HI,

From your Apple menu click System Preferences. If you see an icon like this: in the System Preferences pane, then you have a MobileMe account. If you choose not sync via MobileMe, click the MobileMe icon in the System Preferences pane. Select the Sync tab.

Deselect: Synchronize with MobileMe

If necessary, you can cancel the MobileMe account. Click here: http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/

Click: Account and Billing / Cancel

Does Apple Mobile Sync participate in keeping my iPhone and Mail accounts synced, such that I should be giving it access to those keychains?

Only if you have a MobileMe account.

Carolyn
  • Donot Haveone Level 1 (15 points)
    I do not have MobileMe, so why does Apple Mobile Sync keep asking for access to my keychains?

I do not see any option to turn it on or off, only accept their 'offer' of mobile me or decline it.
  • garbeth Level 1 (0 points)
    Isn't Apple sync used for syncing your address book and calender to services such as Gmail?
    The only things I know I sync data with are TimeMachine, which shouldn't be using a program called MOBILESync, being stationary!, and my phone, via iTunes. This sync is important to me and I don't want to screw it up. But does iTunes make use of MobileSync?
  • edclange Level 3 (910 points)
    Is iTunes configured to sync your e-mail accounts to your iPhone? If so, it needs to get your permission to access your e-mail passwords in order to sync them.
    edclange wrote:
    Is iTunes configured to sync your e-mail accounts to your iPhone?

yes

edclange wrote:
    If so, it needs to get your permission to access your e-mail passwords

here the 'it' refers to what--iTunes or AppleMobileSync?

Is iTunes using AppleMobileSync????? (this is my primary question that I have been trying to get answered)
  • edclange Level 3 (910 points)
    iTunes uses AppleMobileSync to synchronize data with mobile devices. It is not related to MobileMe.
    Thank you, that is what I needed to know. Astonishing how hard it has been to get that simple statement out of mac help, googling, and this forum.