Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6.5 Server packages are gone! Not on Apple's site anymore

Anyone else notice that Apple seems to have pulled down both the regular and the combo update for Server??? I see the problems of broken dovecot mail server post-upgrade, with users being able to see other users' email, so maybe I dodged a bullet. Sounds like they also busted LDAP badly for those of us who run it over SSL. I dodged a bullet there too it seems. I wasn't going to install it in production today anyway, but was going to stage it on a lab server that we test everything with first. I've never seen Apple pull a server update after releasing it. The links to it are all broken and no Software Update reveals it anymore. It all changed late Friday night/Saturday morning. I'm sure there's a story here somewhere. Come on Apple, dedicate some developers to Server and get this thing fixed. It's embarrassing actually.

MacPro 2008 3.2GHz 8-core,32GB RAM,4x1TB in a hardware RAID5, Dual 8800GT's, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Snow Leopard Server

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 7:14 AM

21 replies

Nov 14, 2010 1:51 PM in response to Some Dude

Yep. You are correct. Sorry about that. I downloaded the update when it first came out, and installed it fine. I had a problem with the machine's hostname changing, which caused iChat (jabberd) to gack. But figured out that was due to the way I am using split DNS. A 'changeip' fixed it and I am running 10.6.5 just fine on my server now. I have no idea where it disappeared to. I would expect it back within days.

Nov 15, 2010 10:40 AM in response to Matthew Bryant

I updated a 10.6.4 server to 10.6.5.

The server is open directory master, and yes, there were huge problems with the following symptoms :
- LDAP server broken
- directory services process using more than 100% cpu

If I checked a directory services log, there was the following error :
Misconfiguration detected in hash 'Global SID'
Group 'com.apple.sharepoint.group.5' (/Local/Default) - ID 406
Group 'com.apple.access remoteae' (/Local/Default) - ID 406

So there was a duplicate not in the LDAP configuration but in the local users directory : a duplicate of ID 406.
As I didn't have time to restore all server from backup, I was able to delete the duplicate ID, restore directory services from backup, and then it came back to normal.

Other services were not touche, but I don't use email services.

DNS was not broken.

gilles

Nov 16, 2010 10:40 AM in response to Some Dude

The various gremlins I had after updating to 10.6.5 via software update are gone now that I have downloaded the combo updater presently on Apple's site and run that on my server via DVD. So far, anyway. Another wasted couple of hrs or so caused by some pimply-faced wannabe releasing updates early or otherwise half-baked. 😟

10.6.5 Server packages are gone! Not on Apple's site anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.