Skip navigation

10.1 Update - Lost ability to view music videos on Mac

6347 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2012 3:50 PM by iPodista RSS
1 2 Previous Next
pberk Level 2 Level 2 (240 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 14, 2010 7:40 AM
Since upgrading to 10.1 I have lost the ability to view videos i iTunes on my Mac - the Now Playing window just shows a static image. If I change the preferences to view the videos in another window or full screen, iTunes still just shows a static mage in the Now Playing window.

I know the videos are still there - I can download new ones to itunes, sync and then play them in my iPhone and iPad - and the video icon still appears next to those songs in iTunes, but will not play in iTunes.

My podcasts and movies are still playing fine in ITunes - it's just the music videos that appear in my Music Library which no longer work.
imac 2.8 Core 2 Duo, ipad 3.2.1, iPhone 4.1, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 3 GB RAM
  • drellison Calculating status...
    Nov 14, 2010 9:49 AM (in response to pberk)
    I'm having the same problem... I imagine more people have the problem but watching music videos isn't something that people do as often...
    MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • carloarturo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 14, 2010 11:26 PM (in response to pberk)
    Ok guys, I got a workaround!
    It is not a fix, as it is a software bug, but still is a solution if you need to see your videos while we wait for an official fix.

Simply deselect all the remote speakers and go back only to the Mac speaker.
    You will see the video now, but you will be unable to stream it.
    67 different Mac models, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • emmjay021 Calculating status...
    Nov 19, 2010 7:41 PM (in response to pberk)
    I'm having the same problem. I'm getting a black screen when I try to play music videos. I can hear the music, but there's no image.
    MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iTunes 10.1
  • IQ Gunner Calculating status...
    Nov 26, 2010 10:36 AM (in response to pberk)
    Having SIMILAR problem. Mac OS 0.6.5 with iTunes 10.1 (build54) SOME of my purchased videos will not play within iTunes, but WILL play using QuickTime Player 10.0 and WILL play on my iPad and iPhone.

iTunes WILL play non-protected MPEG-4 video files normally and WILL play ‘Purchased MPEG video‘ files normally. WILL only play ‘Protected MPEG-4 video‘ dated 2009 and later. However, will only play audo portion of ‘Protected MPEG-4 video’ dated 2008 and earlier. Does NOT play any video labelled ‘QuickTime movie file.’

Hope this info gets passed on to the engineers for correction.
    MacBook 2.13 Core2, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iTunes 10.1 (54) and QuickTime Player 10.0
  • soundexpressions Calculating status...
    Nov 26, 2010 7:10 PM (in response to pberk)
    just to let everyone know I have been working with a senior analyst about this issue directly at apple all this week. He called me today and said he does think it is in fact the older protected files are exactly the issue. I sent him copies of the info from some of the videos that do play and some that will not.. a fix will soon be coming out. I had the same problem as everyone is discussing here.. stream to apple tv, play on iphone and ipod if i would want.. also all play on quicktime. no loss of movies or tv shows. I do believe some still watch music videos since you cannot see them anywhere else like the good ole days.. otherwise why would they make them??? I have over 800 videos... 95% of them do not play. hope this helps..
    MacBook Pro 2.5, (2ea.),Time Capsule 1tb, Airport Express (3), B&W Zeppelin, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Time Capsule 1tb, Airport Express (3), B&W Zeppelin
  • soundexpressions Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 26, 2010 7:24 PM (in response to pberk)
    WOW.... okay... just checked to see if anything has been done to fix this issue and now all of my videos are playing from what I can tell...

Anyone else have the same luck?
    MacBook Pro 2.66, (2ea.),Time Capsule 1tb, Airport Express (3), B&W Zeppelin, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Time Capsule 1tb, Airport Express, B&W Zeppelin
    Nov 26, 2010 8:24 PM (in response to pberk)
    okay.... sratch the last post.... have no ideal again..rebooted and now they are not working...
    MacBook Pro 2.66, (2ea.),Time Capsule 1tb, Airport Express (3), B&W Zeppelin, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Time Capsule 1tb, Airport Express, B&W Zeppelin
  • Randers Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I have run into the exact same problem. Spent hours with Apple support which included a complete erase of my computer and reinstall of Snow Leopard and then a restore of my user files. Still none of my music videos show video in the player window. I then downloaded a new music video from iTunes store and it plays fine. So, it appears that the problem is with the old music videos not being compatible with the new iTunes 10.1.
    MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
    Nov 27, 2010 5:14 PM (in response to pberk)
    even though I think my Senior Analyst is trying his best I did a work around that works well... I bought a little program that converts them to .mov files which play just fine in iTunes... Still converting though.. As I said I have have a bunch. The poster above is incorrect in saying or hinting that the ones that dont play must of come from a source such as limewire etc... all of mine came straight from iTunes and I have tried 3 different configurations with Apple to get them to work. I am not complaining as I could never imagine anyone calling from Dell as this guy has from Texas on some days at least 3-4 times.. I figure I will get other uses besides just this with this program but for now it solves this issue until a fix is made... here is a link

http://www.tune4mac.com/mac-video-converter/

good luck
    Nov 27, 2010 5:43 PM (in response to pberk)
    limewire is what the kids were using up until a few weeks ago when they got shut down just like napster did... needless to say my point was that all I know about is the one that I purchased over the years with my hard earned money should still play no matter what... with over 9k in songs and 100 movies and well over 800 videos i expect all of them to work without a hitch.. i do believe however this was a big miss on apples part.. i do agree with what you were referring to with other videos.. just never know but they really all should play.. all of mine still play in quicktime with no problem but who wants to do that... i for one enjoy when i have the free time to watch the videos old and new... the music channels on tv never show them except at the wee hours of the morning.. YUK!!!
1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.