Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to 'RECORD' text-to-speech in Snow Leopard?

We know how to select Text and hear the computer voice Text-to-Speech.
But now we wish to RECORD what is heard,
so that we may save the sound,
and listen to it later, away from the computer, on some player.
The question now: how to Record and save the spoken text sound.
We don't know much about this audio stuff.
We only have the basic applications that came with the MacMini & SnowLeopard.

On a desperate budget so hope not to have to buy or spend much for some fancy application, hope you understand.

Purpose is mostly so that we may transfer the RecordED text-to-speech to an mp3 player or something and carry it with us so we may listen to it away from the computer. But that's not the main question now.

You will be thanked, sincerely.

Macmini2, Dual Cores, 1 Processor; Bus Speed: 667 MHz ; 2GB Mem; L2 Cache:4 MB;

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 8:46 AM

One simple and free way is to start the Quicktime player. Then select file > new audio recording.

Cheers
9 replies

Dec 7, 2010 8:46 AM in response to thelnukus

I think what you want is Audio HiJack - CNet Downloads or MacUpdate - which can capture sound from other applications and save to a file. There are two versions available. Audio HiJack only records the sound. Audio HiJack Pro also provides enhancing tools. The former is $15 and the latter is $32. They are bargains at any price. Spend the extra and get the Pro version. You can download either and use as a demo to determine whether it suits your needs and which version you think you should buy.

There are also transcription programs:

Annotation Transcriber 1.8.9.1
TransKryb 1.31
MacSpeech Scribe 1.1
F5 1.0
Transcriva 2.014
HyperTRANSCRIBE 1.5

for example. Also at the sites linked above. I've not used any of them. They vary widely in cost from free to $150.

Dec 7, 2010 8:47 AM in response to thelnukus

Captain Fred was firstest, and his suggestion most immediately meets my needs.
I shall look into
how to use this QuickTime Player thingy.

Thank you all 3 for what looks like very helpful, and certainly prompt, advise.
Kappy was more detailed and looks very useful.
Palmer's suggestion is also one I will look into.
But I am in the unenviable position of having to choose a winner: CaptainFred

Thanks again, to all.

Dec 7, 2010 8:47 AM in response to thelnukus

Try this program:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/audio/verbalize.html

You can also try this program, but will need to purchase it to save your audio:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/productivity_tools/naturalreadertexttospee ch.html

Both Verbalize and Natural Reader will use your built-in Mac voices. My skill set isn't there, but it is possible to use Automator for such tasks.

Jim

Dec 7, 2010 8:47 AM in response to Donald Palmer

Here's an Automator start:

Get Specified Mail Items
Combine Mail Messages
Text to Audio File

Save as a workflow. When you want to make a text-to-speech audio file of email messages, open the workflow and drag message header summary line(s) from Mail to the Get Specified Mail Items pane in Automator, then click Run.

The audio file produced will be in AIFF format. If you need an audio CD, drag the file into iTunes, create a playlist, and burn the playlist to CD.

How to 'RECORD' text-to-speech in Snow Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.