Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Customize Toolbar Settings not Holding.

Safari 5.02 moves my toolbar item that I placed when I customized the toolbar. I set the item next to the address bar, and the next time I start Safari it is shifted all the way to the left of the toolbar.

iMac 24" 2.8 GHz, MacBook Pro 13", iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 10:45 AM

5 replies

Nov 14, 2010 6:03 PM in response to Bruce Kieffer

Ok...

Check Safari / Preferences then select the Extensions tab. If you have any Extensions installed, then that OFF. Relaunch Safari.

If it's not Extensions causing the Toolbar problem, go here for troubleshooting third party add-ons even though it's the Safari toolbar you are having problems with.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3230?viewlocale=en_US

And try troubleshooting the Safari .plist file. Quit Safari. (Command + Q) Open a Finder window. Select your Home Folder in the Sidebar on the left. It has a small house icon. Then open the Library folder then the Preferences folder.

Move the com.apple.Safari.plist file from the Preferences folder to the Desktop. Now launch Safari. If you can set the Toolbar correctly, move that .plist file to the Trash.

🙂

Mar 18, 2015 3:54 PM in response to Bruce Kieffer

Reviving an old thread here, but experiencing this problem too. Have not reset safari but have trashed com.apple.safari.plist.

one thing that made a minor difference was this: in customize toolbar, drag out all 3rd party extension installed toolbar items. close, quit safari. re-launch, add them back. close, quit safari. relaunch. this at least got all the 3rd party extensions to the left of the search bar, where i wanted them. but the order will still not persist across launches.

Customize Toolbar Settings not Holding.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.