Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD hangs when burning project

In the past few months I've burned nearly 10 dvds all with the same results -- iDVD takes excessively long to fail to burn either a usable image or dvd. It ends by hanging ... forever. All the hardware and software are original. Is there a bug resulting from OS advances? Or iLife being too old?

powerbook g4, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iDVD (iLife) 9

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 2:02 PM

20 replies

Nov 14, 2010 2:45 PM in response to crooked6p

How large are your still photos? If they are large (say 10 to 12 megapixels) that can cause problems.

I suggest you resize your still images to 720x540 for 4:3 NTSC or 854x480 for widescreen NTSC (or 768x576 for 4:3 PAL or 1024x576 for widescreen PAL).

Also, rather than burning to a writable disc, make your burn to a disk image file (an option under FILE in iDVD). You can then double-click to mount the disk image .img file on your desktop and open Apple's DVD Player application to play it. If it's fine, you then use Apple's Disk Utility to burn the disk image to a writable DVD.

Nov 14, 2010 2:50 PM in response to crooked6p

iDvd likes lots of elbow space. So hopefully that 20 GB's you mentioned above does the trick but if not ... things to consider removing for more HDD space from your boot volume / HDD would be items like completed iMovie and iDvd project files. If you have a vast collection of photos & videos; burning them to dvd helps as does using Monolingual to clear languages other than English (if you can afford to do so). The latter will clear about 500 MB's from the main HD .....

http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/monolingual.html

Btw, please use caution when running Monolingual. If you opt to download and run Monolingual, and delete unneeded items from the /Library/Printers/, /Library/Packages/, and /Library/Updates/ folders then DO NOT use Monolingual to delete architectures on any Intel Mac. (you'll thank me later and so will your keyboard).

Hope this helps but if not just come on back.

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: SDMacuser

Nov 14, 2010 3:57 PM in response to F Shippey

My wife has the very same mac. I've used the approach successfully on her mac also.
And I'm prepared to outline a safe approach.

It's not like I'm going to help him void his warranty given the age of his laptop. But if he feels like you that too much risk is involed, then attach an external burner and go from there ... if the ext. burner works fine then he has nothing to loose with a quick shot of compressed air at a safe distance. And it just might help.

Message was edited by: SDMacuser

iDVD hangs when burning project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.