Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use an external camera *instead* of my built-in iSight (MBP)??

Hello, everyone.

I connected a Logitech camera and it worked just fine with PhotoBooth. I went to the menu bar, and I switched between my built-in and the external Logitech with no problem.
Besides that application, how can I "switch" between them?? I can't find anything related to the camera in the System Preferences panel...

For example I went to Chatroulette (shame on me!), and I could not get it to work.

Thanks!

Message was edited by: diafiro

MBP 13", Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 6:38 PM

1 reply

Nov 14, 2010 9:52 PM in response to diafiro

diafiro wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I connected a Logitech camera and it worked just fine with PhotoBooth. I went to the menu bar, and I switched between my built-in and the external Logitech with no problem.
Besides that application, how can I "switch" between them?? I can't find anything related to the camera in the System Preferences panel...

For example I went to Chatroulette (shame on me!), and I could not get it to work.

Thanks!

Message was edited by: diafiro

Mac's webcam is always controlled by the app that is using it. There is no OS X System Preference... for your webcam(s).

How you choose which camera to use depends on the application being used to control the camera. This link gives some examples for Apple apps:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11355158&#11355158

For Flash based websites (including Chatroulette,) the Flash plugin controls. The Flash plugin's simple controls will allow selection between UVC and IIDC webcams, but not between multiple connected cameras of the same type. The workaround for this is :

 • quit your browser if it is running

 • launch something simple like Photo Booth

 • in that app, select the camera you do NOT want to use in your Flash video site

 • set that app aside (minimize) if desired

 • launch your browser and navigate to the Flash based video web page

 • when you access or enable "UVC" webcam, Flash connects the camera not already in use

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Mac OS X (10.6.5); MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2009) 2.26GHz (10.6.5)
LED Cinema Display; G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11); iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9); External iSight; iPod touch 4.1

How to use an external camera *instead* of my built-in iSight (MBP)??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.