10631 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2010 10:16 AM by wjosten
First, reset your phone:
Press the sleep/wake button & home button at the same time, keep pressing until you(hopefully) see the Apple logo, then release(ignore the slide to power off).
Then, see if you can force the phone into recovery mode:
Leave the USB cable connected to your computer, but NOT your phone, itunes running, press & hold the home button while connecting the USB cable to your dock connector, continue holding the home button until you see “Connect to iTunes” on the screen. You may now release the home button. iTunes should now display that it has detected your phone in recovery mode, if not quit and reopen iTunes. If you still don’t see the recovery message repeat these steps again. iTunes will give you the option to restore from a backup or set up as new. In your case, select setup as "new".
wjosten, thanks for your quick reply. I tried it several times but unfortunately it didn't work. While the iphone keeps showing the Apple logo with the "moving circle" in the center, when I press sleep & home button to reset the devide, it actually turns off. Then, when I press sleep & home again (or only the sleep/wake) the Apple logo apears again, I then tried the suggested steps, but the device is not detected by itunes in any mode. Any other idea?
If you can't force the phone into recovery mode you can try DFU mode:
1. Close iTunes.
2. Connect your iPhone to your computer and then launch iTunes.
3. Turn your iPhone off (hold down the power button at the top of the iPhone).
4. Then, hold down the sleep/wake button and home button together for EXACTLY 10 SECONDS, then release the sleep/wake button.
5. Continue to hold down the Home button until a message appears in iTunes telling you an iPhone in recover mode has been detected. When you are in DFU mode your iPhone screen will be completely black. Remember that if you see the restore logo, iTunes logo, or any message on the iPhone screen, you are not in DFU mode but standard Recovery Mode.
6. Hit the OK message that should popup to restore your phone.