Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook air trackpad not slick enough

has anybody noticed with their macbook air that the trackpad is not very smooth. i mean when you slide your finger on it fortrackpad gesture, the finger doesnt glide smoothly and there is friction. i have a macbook pro mid 2009 and the trackpad produces much less friction so that it is very easy to use trackpad gestures on it. the only thing that i can think of is that maybe they are all like that when they are very new but get slicker over time. before i bought the air i took the only precautionary measure i could think of which was to try out the trackpads on the other macs in the applestore to see if they were all like that or only the air. it seemed to me that they were all the same. maybe a redesign of the trackpad on all macs then. i cant find any threads about the issue on here or anywhere else. any ideas?

macbook pro 2009 mbA 13"2010 iphone4, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 5:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 6:19 AM

No problems on mine.
20 replies

Nov 15, 2010 7:11 AM in response to Tony T1

thanks for the feedback. do you have or have you used a multitouch trackpad on another machine? the reason i ask is that probably if i hadnt experienced the smoother trackpad on the other machine, i would just have assumed that this is how multitouch trackpads behave. and its and odd thing, because between my old 3g and iphone 4 the touchscreen is slicker i guess because of the oleophobic coating. i would have thought that is the way to go with trackpads and touchscreens, towards the point when there is less friction between the finger and the surface it is sliding on .

Nov 15, 2010 12:55 PM in response to ericcartman

Hi ericcartman,

Over time, as the trackpad gets more use, it will become smoother. You have to wear it down a bit before it is very smooth.

I suspect the reason that the MacBook Airs in the Apple Store have not-so-smooth trackpads is because they are very new and have not been used much. The other models (i.e. MacBook Pro, MacBook) have been out for longer and may have smoother trackpads once they are used a bit more.

Hope this helps you!

Nov 15, 2010 1:07 PM in response to Isaac Bardin

Isaac Bardin wrote:
I suspect the reason that the MacBook Airs in the Apple Store have not-so-smooth trackpads is because they are very new and have not been used much. The other models (i.e. MacBook Pro, MacBook) have been out for longer and may have smoother trackpads once they are used a bit more.

I agree with Isaac. There's definitely some 'break in' time with the new glass trackpad. I find that it'll definitely get better with time (and usage). But as far as 'out of the box' I noticed no difference between a brand new 13" MBP and an 11" MBA that I set up for some users late last week.

Nov 26, 2016 12:46 PM in response to LukeM13

Oddly enough I saw this immediately, but don't remember seeing any of the earlier responses. Yes, fear not, it does get a lot smoother. I have a 2009 pro and a 2010 air. I have both in front of me now and there is no difference in smoothness- I just checked. I'm curious as to what the mechanism of it is - presumably whatever the glass is coated with wears down rather than the glass itself.

macbook air trackpad not slick enough

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.